Thread: White paint in lettering of prewar Webley pistols

White paint in lettering of prewar Webley pistols

White paint highlighting the stamped lettering on Webley pistols was common post war. I have seen several pictures of prewar pistols and own one straight grip Senior where there is white highlighting. On examining the pictures it looks quite old. Faded, worn out is some places? Was this ever done at the factory?
    Last edited by 45flint; 01-05-2018 at 12:02 PM.

I have several pre-war Webley pistols and they all have what I believe is original factory done off-white lettering, a sort of ivory colour worn in places like yours. Maybe one of the experts on here will confirm the white lettering was done at the factory, maybe not on all pistols, but I also would like to know for sure if this was done and whether it was an optional extra as I've seen some with and some without.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    I have several pre-war Webley pistols and they all have what I believe is original factory done off-white lettering, a sort of ivory colour worn in places like yours. Maybe one of the experts on here will confirm the white lettering was done at the factory, maybe not on all pistols, but I also would like to know for sure if this was done and whether it was an optional extra as I've seen some with and some without.
    l have a few prewar pistols that have the white paint in the stampings, and l have seen photos of prewar pistols with the white paint done. but l was told on here that Webley didn't do them on prewar pistols only postwar ones.

Understand that it’s easy and it maybe right, to dismiss the prewar white as factory but mine and one in the Vintage Gallery are Stoeger Straight Grip Seniors. Stoeger liked to add things to dress their pistols? The walnut grips, mine also has a ribbed trigger. White lettering could have been an add? Not sure I believe it, but the lettering does not look new in mine and the one below?

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....or-air-pistol/

White lettering

I bought a Webley straight grip Senior from a very well-known collector and gun-shop owner (Alan Hamer) in the early 80s. This is almost as new, without a mark on it. This has unblemished off-white lettering, so I'm 99.5 % sure that it is factory original.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I bought a Webley straight grip Senior from a very well-known collector and gun-shop owner (Alan Hamer) in the early 80s. This is almost as new, without a mark on it. This has unblemished off-white lettering, so I'm 99.5 % sure that it is factory original.
    Interesting, three Straight Grip Seniors, now, seems more plausible. Would love to see pics of yours?
    Last edited by 45flint; 02-05-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Seeing another white lettered Straight Grip over here in the US this one a Mark II Target. Looks original to me. Just too many to all be after market.