Thread: 243 58g Hornady v-max, maximum bullet seating length ?

243 58g Hornady v-max, maximum bullet seating length ?

Hi Lads.

The minimum seating depth is supposed to be 2.600, this more or less has the base of the bullet level with the neck of the case, and its about the diameter of the bullet (6mm), so "IF" i need to adjust the bullet seating depth i'm assuming i can only "come out", seen as there isn't much bullet in the case what do you suggest would be a safe bullet length ?

Thanks Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Hi mate this what I done to get a col for my .243 ---take a new sized brass "un-primed" start the bullet slightly then push it into your gun using the bolt when your bolt is closed lift it as if you were going to open it then take your cleaning rod and push the bullet back until your bolt opens I then measured the bullet and took of a few thousand or about one mm or so this will give you a perfect distance to the lands in your barrel

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    Hi mate this what I done to get a col for my .243 ---take a new sized brass "un-primed" start the bullet slightly then push it into your gun using the bolt when your bolt is closed lift it as if you were going to open it then take your cleaning rod and push the bullet back until your bolt opens I then measured the bullet and took of a few thousand or about one mm or so this will give you a perfect distance to the lands in your barrel
    will a 58grn bullet have enough length for that?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    will a 58grn bullet have enough length for that?
    Any bullet should be long enough as you are closing the bolt you should be able to push the round to the lands if this doesn't happen it could be worn out?

Thanks lads.
    2660 oal when just touching lands, this looked to have enough in the neck and its going to need to be back from this so it leaves me some to play with ----------i was also thinking this bullet wouldn’t be long enough ?

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Dave. You don't have anything that can measure from the base of the case to the ogive of the bullet do you? It is always going to give you more accurate measurements than measuring the COAL of a tipped round, or any in fact round.

My measurements for my 58gr Vmax rounds are -

Length to Ogive (Touching Lands): 2.235” (= Overall Length (Base to Tip) of 2.660”, or extremely near)

I give it a 10 thou jump so my loaded rounds have a case-base to ogive length of 2.225".

Another tip as well - use a fired case to ascertain you ogive bullet length to the lands. Use a neck size die to reduce the neck of the case until the bullet can be just about pushed in by hand (with a small amount of force). This way you can repeat your measurements more easily. No need to pull bullets completely from cases using tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    Any bullet should be long enough as you are closing the bolt you should be able to push the round to the lands if this doesn't happen it could be worn out?
    not really, the .243 chamber needs to fit a whole range of bullet lengths, and weights, the 58grn is surely at the shorter end of the scale, does it have enough length to leave the generally accepted bore diametre neck insertion, while touching the lands ? I suspect not, but am happy to be shown wrong.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    not really, the .243 chamber needs to fit a whole range of bullet lengths, and weights, the 58grn is surely at the shorter end of the scale, does it have enough length to leave the generally accepted bore diametre neck insertion, while touching the lands ? I suspect not, but am happy to be shown wrong.
    You could be right? but this was the way I used in my rifle to find out the best seating depth I cant remember what is was