Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hold sensitive springer

Hold sensitive springer

I have a Hw98 that I find very hold sensitive ,it has a V-glide conversion fitted and a breech shim conversion.On the rare occasion I can shoot a good group,but it's so much harder to achieve with the 98 ,compared to my other glided rifles.I did get Steve at v- mach to sort me out another softer spring and guides . It is not as snappy as before ,but I still struggle with it. Any suggestions people??.
    Regards
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I have a Hw98 that I find very hold sensitive ,it has a V-glide conversion fitted and a breech shim conversion.On the rare occasion I can shoot a good group,but it's so much harder to achieve with the 98 ,compared to my other glided rifles.I did get Steve at v- mach to sort me out another softer spring and guides . It is not as snappy as before ,but I still struggle with it. Any suggestions people??.
    Regards
    Les
    Les, is it a .177? If so, what power is it shooting at? I had an XS20 (a cloned HW95) that was a bit hold sensitive, but tamed after adding a steel moderator (can't do that with yours) and a spring chop to run it at about 10.5fpe (mine was a .177)

Regards
    Les
    you are not going to like this but just been through this, sell it. and get a 99 in either calibre. its not hold sensitive at all i have three all in .177 that calibre would show sensitivity if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Les, is it a .177? If so, what power is it shooting at? I had an XS20 (a cloned HW95) that was a bit hold sensitive, but tamed after adding a steel moderator (can't do that with yours) and a spring chop to run it at about 10.5fpe (mine was a .177)
    Hi Mark
    Yeah my one is in .177 and doing about 11.8. There is very little pre- load, I have a Hw80 and a Pro/elite with the reduced v- glide conversion and they are much nicer to shoot with,they are also in .177 and 11.3 ish ftlbs.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    you are not going to like this but just been through this, sell it. and get a 99 in either calibre. its not hold sensitive at all i have three all in .177 that calibre would show sensitivity if that was the case.
    I already have a 99s and do agree with you regarding the 99 shooting manners, my one is in .22 and is standard ,and shoots great as it is.
    Les..

Hi Mark
    Yeah my one is in .177 and doing about 11.8. There is very little pre- load, I have a Hw80 and a Pro/elite with the reduced v- glide conversion and they are much nicer to shoot with,they are also in .177 and 11.3 ish ftlbs.
    Les..
    Hi Les

I have a similar collection to yourself - all undertaken by Mr Pope - all fantastic shooting rifles.

I have short stroked my 98- also in 0.177 flavour - with a Tin Bum piston extension and found it transformed the gun, not to quite to the same level of refinement as the above, however certainly as accurate as long as I do my bit. it certainly isn't hold sensitive.

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Hi Les

I have a similar collection to yourself - all undertaken by Mr Pope - all fantastic shooting rifles.

I have short stroked my 98- also in 0.177 flavour - with a Tin Bum piston extension and found it transformed the gun, not to quite to the same level of refinement as the above, however certainly as accurate as long as I do my bit. it certainly isn't hold sensitive.

Cheers Steve
    Hi Steve
    Thanks for your advice.
    Like your good self ,Steve Pope as done all the conversion work on my guns 6 rifles and all shoot superbly,but the 98 is the only one that I struggle with.
    I am not sure if one of Tin bums short stroke extension's would fit on the v-mach piston??.
    Les..

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    short stroke it with a 10mm nose ext, job done
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    short stroke it with a 10mm nose ext, job done
    Hi Jon
    Will a Tin bum nose ext fit my V- mach piston? And could I still use the V- Mach piston seal?.
    Les..

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Hi Jon
    Will a Tin bum nose ext fit my V- mach piston? And could I still use the V- Mach piston seal?.
    Les..
    yup / yup

Check they haven't already shortened the stroke though..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hi Jon
    Les..
    Steve's Seals fit the standard HW piston mounting arrangements - I doubt if he makes a different seal for his glided piston - I would imaging that a TB extension fitted with a Standard HW seal would fit.

Cheers

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yup / yup

Check they haven't already shortened the stroke though..
    Agreed totally with that

Thanks Jon and Weasle for you advice.
    I will contact Steve Pope regarding the short stroke thingy on my gun.
    Atb
    Les..

Regards
    Les
    Hi, are you sure that it is hold sensitivity causing your accuracy problems? Have you tried a good selection of pellets, cleaned the barrel, can others shoot OK with the gun??. Sounds like it has a stiffish spring in it if there is little pre-load and doing 11.8 in 177. I had a vmach kit in my 95 years ago but I removed it in the end as it surged a lot. Now fitted with a Titan no. 5 on fitted guides. These days I would stick with the original spring and get fitted guides made.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi, are you sure that it is hold sensitivity causing your accuracy problems? Have you tried a good selection of pellets, cleaned the barrel, can others shoot OK with the gun??. Sounds like it has a stiffish spring in it if there is little pre-load and doing 11.8 in 177. I had a vmach kit in my 95 years ago but I removed it in the end as it surged a lot. Now fitted with a Titan no. 5 on fitted guides. These days I would stick with the original spring and get fitted guides made.
    My 98 like JSB 4.53's head and shoulders above all others - however thats my barrel!