Thread: Technical Advice Please - re Longbow Lubrication

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Technical Advice Please - re Longbow Lubrication

I bought a mint Longbow recently - the owner was a collector and put six shots down the barrel once a year and then returned it to its box. However, between buying it two months ago and after shooting probably less than 50 shots, the power has diminished by over 1/2 ft/lb.

The helpful gunsmith from whom I bought it, says that he thinks the cylinder needs greasing. The piston head and breech seal are as new, so he thinks this is the problem, which he will fix. I am just wondering if readers think I should suggest any other possibility.

Meanwhile, I looked at the Manual, kindly supplied to me by Troubledshooter, here. It says that occasionally, three or four drops of Weblube gun oil should be applied to the piston skirt, via the loading lever slots in the stock and body tube assembly. This is double-dutch to me. Does anyone know to what they are referring, here?

Also, the same drops of oil should be administered to the piston seal, via the air feed hole in the breech face. It then adds that serious damage could be done if there is over lubrication!

I was under the impression that unlike with leather washers, no oil should be introduced into the transfer port/air feed hole.

Any advice re the above would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
    A
    Last edited by andrewM; 30-04-2018 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo