Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annealing

Annealing

Can I just say "'kin hell you've got to be quick annealing Hornet cases"

If you cannot control your rate of heating easily use the water tray method.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Are you doing it by hand?

Yep by hand, Cordless drill, 10mm deep socket & a Mapp torch

I reckon it's about 1.5 seconds per case , the first one I thought I'd count to 5...it was glowing red hot by 3

If you are handy, you can make a machine to do it - lots of examples on Youtube.

You can go really basic:

https://youtu.be/1uPlbB6LHKE?t=217

Or a bit more high tech:

https://youtu.be/k0xE-6bSwME?list=PL...V9UEke5id&t=28

Personally I would just pay a bit of money and get something ready made - these are £180 delivered.

https://youtu.be/Gqoh0cM5FvU?t=238

Fookme, £180 buys a lot of cases.i seldom require to anneal my cases and usually get 5-8 cycles out of them before even thinking about annealing.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Fookme, £180 buys a lot of cases.i seldom require to anneal my cases and usually get 5-8 cycles out of them before even thinking about annealing.
    It is actually quite a good price for an automatic annealer if you compare to what is out there. At the extreme end, the AMP annealer is £1125 in the UK - but you really really have to be competitively anal about your neck tension to need one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    It is actually quite a good price for an automatic annealer if you compare to what is out there. At the extreme end, the AMP annealer is £1125 in the UK - but you really really have to be competitively anal about your neck tension to need one of those.
    One of my friends made his own machine, used my lathe a fair bit so now does all my annealing for free.

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    One of my friends made his own machine, used my lathe a fair bit so now does all my annealing for free.
    There is something quite satisfying with making your own. Typically for me though, once I get the bits to make it, and the tools and other bits I need to fettle the bits, I may as well have bought new

Mapp gas is really hot and high energy. You could try switching gas.

Your designs are all amazing. Have you considered selling them? The raptor calls one I linked to above uses a stepper motor - I presume you do too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn1SXtPq_K8

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Your designs are all amazing. Have you considered selling them? The raptor calls one I linked to above uses a stepper motor - I presume you do too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn1SXtPq_K8
    No - no stepper motors or microprocessors - I use DC motors and control the speed with PWM controllers.

sounds to me like angry bear knows his stuff. in my opinion timed anealing if flawed and that includes the amp annaled cases i have tried.the concept relys on all cases bieng the same and there not.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Mapp gas is really hot and high energy. You could try switching gas.
    True, but that's what I've got out in the garage at the moment, now I know it's just a quick spin in to the tip of the flame it's not a problem.