Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO2 bottle refilling?

CO2 bottle refilling?

I have a 0.2l CO2 bottle for a Tau 7 pistol and am struggling to find someone to refill it.

The gun is currently running on 12g CO2 cartridges but the bottle would be more convenient.

Can you still get the bottles filled or is it pointless looking for someone to fill it. I've tried the paintball people, gas suppliers etc in the Middlesbrough area but come up empty handed so far.

I can always buy more 12g cartridges if I have to.

Google www. UKPSorg they may help you out.

A lot of guys who go bulk fill use co2 fire extinguishers.

We use BOC for co2....not had a problem.....

I used to get a cylinder refilled at the local aquarium suppliers, apparently they use CO2 in fish tanks.

another idea is a motor factors that supplies welding gas for MIG welders,
    obviously you'd need to make up a filling/decanting hose so you need to know what you're doing.

I use 2kg fire extinguishers. If you find a friendly supplier he may sell you out of date ones without the cone fitted for £10 each. These last me about 2 years.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 05-05-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I used to get a bulk fill bottle from a stall on the market which did home brewing gear. When empty, take back and exchange for a full one. It was quite inexpensive to swap for a full mone after the initial purchase of the cylinder.

Soda stream bottles. Used to use them as a bulk fill on my crosman XT 2250.

Thanks guys, some good ideas to work on

CF

It is worth pointing out that with CO2 bottles/cylinders, there are two different types - liquid release and vapour release (also called dip or non-dip). Liquid release has a tube down to the bottom so that the pressure in the bottle pushes the liquid CO2 out, whereas vapour release does not, so you get gasseous CO2. Of course you can turn a vapour release bottle upside down to get the liquid out, and vice versa for a vapour release, but liquid will probably break your regulator if you are using one. Also, if the reg fails, it may well cause an explosion, or at least cause the pressure relief valve to blow.

Most of the cylinders that you get for end user purposes (home brewing, soda stream, welding, fish tanks, etc) will be vapour release. I think fire extingushers are usually liquid release, because otherwise they would freeze solid when you vent the whole tank. You need liquid release to decant into another bottle. Otherwise you are just filling it up with gas and the pressure will start to drop as soon as you use the smaller bottle. I.e., it will work, but if you get a liquid fill it will last a lot longer from each fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfinger View Post
    I have a 0.2l CO2 bottle for a Tau 7 pistol and am struggling to find someone to refill it.

The gun is currently running on 12g CO2 cartridges but the bottle would be more convenient.

Can you still get the bottles filled or is it pointless looking for someone to fill it. I've tried the paintball people, gas suppliers etc in the Middlesbrough area but come up empty handed so far.

I can always buy more 12g cartridges if I have to.
    There is at least one Tau 7 owner on this forum (besides me) that does not use bulk fill due to the reported difficulty getting a good fill (the small tank in the pistol is inside the grip and needs to be cooler than the bulk fill tank to get a good fill). Some info HERE suggests little benefit. Conversely there is an article by Todd Cooper HERE that praised bulk fill of the Tau 7. But bear in mind that a brand new Tau 7 does NOT come with the 0.2L Tau transfer bottle; possibly indicative of the small take up of them (or availability of bulk fill C02) and the connections/adapters required to connect the 0.2L Tau transfer bottle to a larger bulk fill tank.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 06-05-2018 at 08:20 PM.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_79 View Post
    .... I think fire extingushers are usually liquid release, because otherwise they would freeze solid when you vent the whole tank. You need liquid release to decant into another bottle. Otherwise you are just filling it up with gas and the pressure will start to drop as soon as you use the smaller bottle. I.e., it will work, but if you get a liquid fill it will last a lot longer from each fill.
    Some useful pointers from Loki_79. Anyone seeking a fire extinguisher should check the construction with their supplier, I have been told (anecdotally) by someone trying to obtain a NEW extinguisher in the UK, that some NEW designs do not have a dip/siphon tube (improved reliability - fewer parts to fail). Presumably they overcame the potential issue of the outlet freezing when discharged. Something to consider/check.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Pub supplies

Pub suppliers sell large tanks with dip tubes,then a fill station from paintball website,I used to do it when paint balling.

It's been a while since I started this thread and I struck out getting the bottle filled, nobody would help.

Until last week.

Someone at the club mentioned that the bottle looked like the Hambleton Bard S30 bottles supplied and exchanged by the local homebrew shop. He suggested that went along and asked if they would refill the bottle. The lady in the shop told me that her husband used to refill the type of bottle I showed her but he had passed away. The only bottles she had were Brewgas L30.

Same valve, same thread - Job done

The bottles are 240g CO2 and a refill is £5.20 so still cheaper than 12g cartridges.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    The firm that service my extinguishers happily give me expired ones. Apparently they have to pay dispose of them. The rig to fill them cost about a tenner.

Dave
    Smell my cheese