Thread: Copper Washed / Coated Bullets

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Lightbulb Copper Washed / Coated Bullets

Have been using Frontier 158 grain Copper coated or washed bullets in 0.357 mag Marlin U/L (micro grooved barrel). These FP bullets have a cannelure which enables the bullet to be comfortably crimped.

Coming to the end of my supply of Frontier bullets. There are several companies offering a similar 158 grain FP Copper washed bullet but they do not appear to have a either crimp groove or a cannelure.

Has anyone used these bullets to load up rounds for an U/L rifle ??. Can the bullet be crimped into the case, despite there being no groove. If crimped does the crimp damage the copper coating

Al.
    Last edited by AlBur; 08-05-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

Quote Originally Posted by AlBur View Post
    Has anyone used these bullets to load up rounds for an U/L rifle ??. Can the bullet be crimped into the case, despite there being no groove. If crimped does the crimp damage the copper coating

Al.
    I have been using LOS copper plated - and it's a thick copper plate - and a light crimp which does dig slightly into the thick copper plate. Bullets recovered from the sand show no sign of the copper being stripped or otherwise damaged in the area of the crimp. I guess it may depend on how tight you crimp and perhaps the thickness of the plating?

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Lee factory crimp die is cheap and works well without a canelure
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Lee factory crimp die is cheap and works well without a canelure
    Seconded. I shoot a lightly-loaded 158gr hard-cast lead FN in my Ruger Super Redhawk LBR, and give it just a touch of 'squeeze'. The chronographed difference is an amazing 110 fps on average, with the 'crimped' bullet the faster of the two.

tac