Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice re fitting scope rail to pre-war BSA

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a BSA Standard Pattern .22 (1925/26) and a nicely restored Improved Model D Light Model .177 (1913/14).
    The Standard Pattern came in a well made reproduction case (many thanks to Mac). .

So what I would like to share with you is my idea to fit a scope rail on the Improved Model D Light Model. Quite a few people will disapprove of this. I am prepared to get a few "don't do it, you pagan" 's. But I know that this has been done before, and I am just very curious to know what kind of results I could get accuracy wise from this 1913/14 piece of quality engineering.
    Hello Louis, check out this solution created for Trevors BSA.
    See it on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjm_45k/

It allows the BSA to be put back to original with no effect to the originality of the BSA

This is my "vintage sniper"

There are 2 grooves milled into the main cylinder, only did this because the barrel and cylinder wher badly corroded on the inside and beyond repair.

----------------------------
    Frank

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    See it on Flickr.

It allows the BSA to be put back to original with no effect to the originality of the BSA
    now that's the best solution to maintain originality....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hi Louis
    The idea I suggested should not affect the accuracy in the way you suggest unless you rested the barrel on something when shooting it.
    The weight of the mount/scope however might make the rifle too front heavy. It may also affect barrel harmonics which might aid accuracy or might make it worse?
    Rich.
    Having thought about this overnight I think it would look a bit sh#t all the way out in front of the underlever!
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

See it on Flickr.

What a great solution! It looks really nice too - very attractive the way it's tapered so as not to obstruct the cocking slot. You could imagine this being sold as an add-on for new rifles, had scopes been as popular then as they are now.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    What a great solution! It looks really nice too - very attractive the way it's tapered so as not to obstruct the cocking slot. You could imagine this being sold as an add-on for new rifles, had scopes been as popular then as they are now.
    Magnificent engineering and innovation combined and some splendid rifles there, too. Equally impressive were the period scopes.

I would be rather keen to submit mine for the same treatment, if someone was prepared to do it.

+ 1 for a Trevor scope holder haha.
    I am amazed by all the great ideas that have been put into practice.
    Will start looking for someone who can make something like that.
    Then I could perhaps start a business. Just joking of course.
    Trevor's solution takes my worries away of having to irreversibly modify my antique guns.

Fitting a scope rail

Hi All , I have a 1909 Improved Model D to which aprevious ownerhas silver soldered or braised asmall bar profiled to mimic the profile of milled slots. I have fitted an old Diana x4 scope andthe setup works very well. If anyone is interested I can email photos. Regards Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

See it on Flickr.

I agree - this is the most sympathetic way of mounting a scope that I have seen. I once bought an early 1920s No 2 Standard with visible etching, where some former owner had mounted a scope ramp over the etching. Truly sacrilegious in my view. To cap it off, the ramp was not really strong enough to handle a recoiling scope for more than a few shots.

I do quite like this set up though as it appears to be completely reversible.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I agree - this is the most sympathetic way of mounting a scope that I have seen. I once bought an early 1920s No 2 Standard with visible etching, where some former owner had mounted a scope ramp over the etching. Truly sacrilegious in my view. To cap it off, the ramp was not really strong enough to handle a recoiling scope for more than a few shots.

I do quite like this set up though as it appears to be completely reversible.

John
    A competent blacksmith should be able to carry out this operation and I believe Louisvanhovell is searching for someone to achieve this. Probably, there could be quite a demand if a competent person could be found to produce the parts. I would almost certainly purchase these but would like a vintage period scope.

I have relayed your praiseworthy comments to Jeff on the scope mount he created. He reacted in his usual quiet practical manner and is pleased that it has met with approval.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 15-05-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Thumbs up

Hello Louis.
    I understand that Trevor supplied you with clean images ( and dimensions?) of the scope attachment that Jeff made for him.
    How did you make out with having reproductions of Jeffs sympathetic scope attachment for early BSA's?
    I would be interested to see what was produced and hearing your assessment and opinion on it.
    Jeff is curious also

i recall seeing on a blog somewhere (can't find it) that a chap did it by using a modern clamp just in front of the trigger guard such as some can be found by an image search & maybe with the use of an extra rail on top for length

google search - barrel clamp scope mount (images)

ATB
    James

I would also be interested to know how you have got on.

Hello Louis.
    I understand that Trevor supplied you with clean images ( and dimensions?) of the scope attachment that Jeff made for him.
    How did you make out with having reproductions of Jeffs sympathetic scope attachment for early BSA's?
    I would be interested to see what was produced and hearing your assessment and opinion on it.
    Jeff is curious also
    Good morning, sorry for my very late response. I must admit that it slipped my mind, and I suddenly thought about it yesterday.
    I am 30 but my memory seems to be a bit older than that.
    Yes Trevor sent a few good photos. I will upload them. AndrewM and I have been in touch with Protek Supplies a few months ago, but they weren't too sure and then I didn't really look for other options. Since then, vintage Crosmans pumpers and CO2 airguns have gripped my interest more than anything else. Two Crosmans Town & Country 108, a first variant Sears & Roebuck 180, a second variant 160, a first variant 400, a boxed first variant 140. Woops.
    To be honest, I'd like to pass the baton on this one.
    Protek might be convinced by someone who pays them a visit with photos and a solid plan.
    Or someone could try to replicate the design. I don't have the tools, nor the skills, and I'm in Amsterdam most of the time.
    Have a nice weekend, Louis