Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a BSA Standard Pattern .22 (1925/26) and a nicely restored Improved Model D Light Model .177 (1913/14).
The Standard Pattern came in a well made reproduction case (many thanks to Mac). My interest in vintage airguns started when my former landlord in Devon showed his Webley Serive Rifle Mk2 to me, which he used a long time ago when he was farming in Derbyshire. I first thought: what the hell is that piece of old metal. But I soon discovered its beauty and then I was hooked. I do like my modern springers and pcp's too btw. My greatest pride being a BSA Techstar; a high power mmc model, designed by John Bowkett for the American market. It gives 30 consistent shots at 29 ft/lbs in .22. I am straying off topic now.

So what I would like to share with you is my idea to fit a scope rail on the Improved Model D Light Model. Quite a few people will disapprove of this. I am prepared to get a few "don't do it, you pagan" 's. But I know that this has been done before, and I am just very curious to know what kind of results I could get accuracy wise from this 1913/14 piece of quality engineering. Using the open sights, I can achieve decent groups at 15/20 yards, but it would be interesting to prove just how very accurate it is at bigger distances. A telescopic sight will make that a lot easier. The gun shoots ever so smooth, at about 500 fps with JSB Exact 8.44 gr. (The Standard Pattern needs a bit of work, it is harsh and it twangs). As the Improved Model D Light Model has been restored and re-blued, I think it is not a bad candidate to do an experiment with.

So, has anyone done this before? I think that welding would be the way to go.

Many thanks, Louis
Ps. The last photo is me with an over the date beer can target.