Thread: Nitro Conversion Inconsistency.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nitro Conversion Inconsistency.

I have a Ruger Old Army which has been converted to use nitro powder and shotgun primers. I was advised to use 4.5 grns of Herco behind an Alox lubricated .457 round ball.

When this load works consistently it sounds right and is very accurate, but I'm getting quite a few weak discharges and have noticed unburnt powder accumulating in front of the muzzle.

I would have thought either the ball is not seating tightly enough or the powder is not burning fast enough. As already stated, the ball is the recommended .457 dia and I can see a ring ring of Alox coming of after seating, but not really a lead ring as with my BP revolvers. I have also tried ball from different makers with no difference in the results obtained. I realise that it's important to use a 'Flake' type shotgun type powder in these conversions to prevent finer powder disappearing through the primer hole, but wondered if a slightly faster burning powder than Herco such as Unique might help the situation.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 11-05-2018 at 03:07 PM.

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    Might be worth trying blu dot powder, I have a .44 anvil conversion Uberti 1858 shoots .457 balls reasonably accurately. Couple of other ex members of the club have west lake alpha’s are also using blu dot, slightly more dirtier powder.
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

Quote Originally Posted by markreid View Post
    Might be worth trying blu dot powder, I have a .44 anvil conversion Uberti 1858 shoots .457 balls reasonably accurately. Couple of other ex members of the club have west lake alpha’s are also using blu dot, slightly more dirtier powder.
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have looked on the Anvil Conversions site Q&A section where Blue Dot and Unique were suggested alternatives to Herco, but it also notes that Blue Dot is a slower burning powder than Herco and Unique a bit faster, so maybe Unique might be better in this case.

Brian

Anvil conversions who sell replacement nitro nipples reccomend 8grs of Herco on a .454 ball seated no further than the origional loading rod allows.
    No filler or wads.
    Some fettling may be required.
    Once I find some Herco that will be my starting point.
    If you try this let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by weebeestie View Post
    Anvil conversions who sell replacement nitro nipples reccomend 8grs of Herco on a .454 ball seated no further than the origional loading rod allows.
    No filler or wads.
    Some fettling may be required.
    Once I find some Herco that will be my starting point.
    If you try this let us know how you get on.
    Hello,

As it's a Ruger Old Army I wouldn't want to use a ball of smaller diameter than the recommended .457

I have measured phials of 4, 4.5 and 5 grns of Herco and will try these next to time I go to the range. The original 4.5 grn load is fine when it works, but I'm not happy with the occasional light discharge and the evidence of unburnt powder which accumulates in front of the muzzzle.

If this doesn't work, I will try a slightly faster powder such a Unique.

Brian

if you are getting poor ignition check that the nipples are not partially blocked.

You could also try a different primer. Some are hotter than others. Some burn dirtier than others so trying different ones may solve your problem.
    You can get magnum primers but I would seek advice before using them just in case it ups the pressure in the cylinder.