Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hold sensitive springer Update

Hold sensitive springer Update

I started a thread regarding my Hw98 being hold sensitive .I was advised to short stroke the gun by adding a piston extension, I ordered 10mm extension from Tinbum and fitted it with a new Hw seal,Wow what a difference it as made to the way the gun shoots.Reduced recoil a less snappy fireing cycle ,.
    I am well pleased with the way it shoots and would recommend any one with a Hw95-98 to give it a go ,if you are finding you gun hold sensitive .My gun had the standard stroke 86mm and is now 76mm.
    Thanks to every one who gave advice and Tinbum for the Extension.
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I started a thread regarding my Hw98 being hold sensitive .I was advised to short stroke the gun by adding a piston extension, I ordered 10mm extension from Tinbum and fitted it with a new Hw seal,Wow what a difference it as made to the way the gun shoots.Reduced recoil a less snappy fireing cycle ,.
    I am well pleased with the way it shoots and would recommend any one with a Hw95-98 to give it a go ,if you are finding you gun hold sensitive .My gun had the standard stroke 86mm and is now 76mm.
    Atb
    Les..
    Sounds great Les,, did you size the seal or just bung it in with the extension? I can't wait to try exactly the same with my .22 77..... Missed chatting with you at the last bash, be good to catch up over the bell!!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I'm pleased that you have had a successful outcome using the piston extension - as I did.

I was using my 98 at the range last weekend and it never fails to please

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Sounds great Les,, did you size the seal or just bung it in with the extension? I can't wait to try exactly the same with my .22 77..... Missed chatting with you at the last bash, be good to catch up over the bell!!
    Hi Rhys
    I put the new seal on the ext,no sizing needed.
    The gun as always shot super smooth but snappy like a gas ram rifle,but now it's a softer feel and less recoil cycle.
    I will have some range time with it tomorrow and I am looking forward to it.
    We will chat for sure at the next bash and ring that Bell a bit
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I'm pleased that you have had a successful outcome using the piston extension - as I did.

I was using my 98 at the range last weekend and it never fails to please

Cheers Steve
    Hi Weasle
    As recomended by your self and the other chaps a great upgrade for the Hw95.
    Atb
    Les..

Hi Weasle
    As recomended by your self and the other chaps a great upgrade for the Hw95.
    Atb
    Les..
    If only I could get my TX200HC to be as good.....It's unfortunately on the transfer list at the moment.

Cheers

Steve

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Told you so - don't believe the naysayers
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Told you so - don't believe the naysayers
    You did indeed Jon.
    Cheers mate.
    Les..

Glad to hear you're pleased with it, Les.

And I hope you remain as impressed following your range visit tomorrow. Be sure to report back.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Glad to hear you're pleased with it, Les.

And I hope you remain as impressed following your range visit tomorrow. Be sure to report back.
    Hi Tony
    Looking foreword to shooting the gun and enjoying the experience .
    I'll let you know how I get on with it mate..
    Atb
    Les..

Atb
    Les..
    May I ask why you had to change the seal please?

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    May I ask why you had to change the seal please?

A.G
    The V-Mach seal was a very tight fit in the cylinder once I had fitted it to the piston extension,the Tinbum extension is made to fit the Hw seal.The V-Mach seal and ext only produced 5.5 ftlbs, the Hw seal and ext 11.2 ftlbs.
    Les..

Les,

I had a conversation last year with Mr. Pope, who told me his V-Mach seals need to be fitted correctly - i.e. sized to the particular compression chamber.

When Mr. Pope made me up a short-stroke piston for my TX200, he fitted the piston seal to the compression chamber to give the ideal fit, and it functioned perfectly.

It would seem that a lot of the aftermarket seals, particularly those with thicker lips (non-parachute seals), need some fettling to get the best out of them - a lot of these manufacturers also state that the seals are made to fit the upper tolerance of the compression chambers, and in some cases will need fitting.

Fitting of piston seals was almost mandatory in the days of leather piston seals, but this practice seems to have been forgotten with the advent of synthetic seals.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Les,

I had a conversation last year with Mr. Pope, who told me his V-Mach seals need to be fitted correctly - i.e. sized to the particular compression chamber.

When Mr. Pope made me up a short-stroke piston for my TX200, he fitted the piston seal to the compression chamber to give the ideal fit, and it functioned perfectly.

It would seem that a lot of the aftermarket seals, particularly those with thicker lips (non-parachute seals), need some fettling to get the best out of them - a lot of these manufacturers also state that the seals are made to fit the upper tolerance of the compression chambers, and in some cases will need fitting.

Fitting of piston seals was almost mandatory in the days of leather piston seals, but this practice seems to have been forgotten with the advent of synthetic seals.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    The V-Mach piston seal was a perfect fit on the V-mach piston, but bulged out on the piston extension.
    The Hw was still a nice fit in the cylinder and the gun shoots great.
    Regards
    Les..

The V-Mach piston seal was a perfect fit on the V-mach piston, but bulged out on the piston extension.
    The Hw was still a nice fit in the cylinder and the gun shoots great.
    Regards
    Les..
    I had exactly the same on my 97K recently. Extremely tight with a V-Mach seal after putting the piston extension on. When I get round to it I’m going to sand down the extension piece so it doesn’t flare out the seal.