Thread: airsporter mk2 help please.

airsporter mk2 help please.

hi all ,picked up what i believe to be a mk2 .22 airsporter today.it has an opening on cocking breech tap and a walnut three piece stock.condition is good mechanically and cosmetically .stock has been refinished with polyeurethane varnish so i think i will strip that simpathetically restore it,what would the original finish have been? lacquer/varnish or oiled?.the blacked aluminium has also been refinished,but not so well so i think i will redo that as well, i think i have had good results before with plasticote black satin aerosol on this type of material.blueing is faded but nicely so, so will leave that alone.the gun has four grooves on the compression tube for scope mounts,are these still available?.the serial no is engraved not stamped and is GO19051.is it possible to tell the approximate age from this please..any info would be most appreciated,cheers greasemonkey..
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Hello,

I think you may have accidentally posted in the wrong section for collectable air guns, but no matter.

There was no GO prefix for BSA air rifles, so you may have misread a GD prefix which is indeed a Mk 2 Airsporter from 1959 - 1965.

The Mk 2 came with a flip up rear sight whereas the Mk1 had a turret wheel adjustable rear sight.

Hope this helps.

Brian

thanks Brian,could a moderator please move this thread to Collectable airguns please,cheers Greasemonkey..

hi Brian,it does indeed have the prefix GD and the flip up sight,thanks for the info,cheers greasemonkey.