Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Sights ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Open Sights ?

Recently acquired a nice old Mk. 2 BSA Airsporter that had seen some action but shot quite well, so now I' wondering what else maybe out there that I could 'get chummy with' using opens ?
    Think I'm looking at stuff from the 50's, 60's and possibly the 70's as that was 'my time' so to speak, you'll understand what I mean by that !
    Don't fancy any Weihrauchs with the possible exception of an HW 35E.
    So what should I be considering Guys ?

Thanks !
    “An airgun or two”………

Some of my favourite classic-era open sight guns (most of which I have owned in some form or other):

- Airsporter Mk1.
    - Webley MkIII.
    - Diana 50.
    - Walther LG52 (rare, never had one, would really like one).
    - 1950s/early 60s Diana 35 and 27.

It is a sin to scope any of the above (if they have scope rails/grooves). Except the D50, as they were current past 1980. They were all designed and stocked for irons.

There is a kind of irony that many of the 50s sights are steel and in some cases works of the machinist's art, but the later 70s alloy and plastic ones often give a better sight picture, especially on paper targets. They are better as sights, just less charming to use. That is certainly true of the Dianas.

If you mean "iron sights", not just "open sights", the diopters on 1950s German rifles are lovely. And the PH apertures on things like MkIIIs are pretty good too. And a Webley Tracker with a front sight (not barrel weight) and a Williams peep rear is a fun thing, as is a Sheridan with the Williams.

Do also consider the HW55. I am pretty sure there was an open-sighted base model. That could be interesting.

Fitted open sights on my HW 95 in .20 calibre. This is a smooth operating accurate rifle that is not too heavy. Also easy to work on as there is no spring preload.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thanks for that Geezer, I imagined quite rightfully that the Webbo Mk. 3 would figure and even the HW 55.
    I also thought something in the Diana stable may also crop up but I know little of early Dianas so I couldn't speculate.
    “An airgun or two”………

Many good suggestions up above.

John, the HW35E that you mention is a simply superb rifle for open sight use. Nice, long sight base, interchangeable elements and that barrel lock is vault like. Coupled with the superb trigger and excellent stability will result in a rifle producing tight grouping which will surprise you and any pre-conceptions you may have regarding achievable group sizes.

Availability is excellent as is parts / tuning goodies availability.

The HW99 is fantastic on opens, too, but maybe too recent?

So maybe the original HW50? Very nice, sweet shooting mid-power rifle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Fitted open sights on my HW 95 in .20 calibre. This is a smooth operating accurate rifle that is not too heavy. Also easy to work on as there is no spring preload.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Very tasty !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Many good suggestions up above.

John, the HW35E that you mention is a simply superb rifle for open sight use. Nice, long sight base, interchangeable elements and that barrel lock is vault like. Coupled with the superb trigger and excellent stability will result in a rifle producing tight grouping which will surprise you and any pre-conceptions you may have regarding achievable group sizes.

Availability is excellent as is parts / tuning goodies availability.

The HW99 is fantastic on opens, too, but maybe too recent?

So maybe the original HW50? Very nice, sweet shooting mid-power rifle.
    Yes Tone, the 35E would fit the bill I reckon. I did once own an unusual 35 which I sold to John (johnbaz) although I dont really remember shooting it much.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Hi Baz,
    How is the sight picture with the (HW77?) Rear sight on the back block? I have been thinking of doing the same with one of my rifles
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Thanks for that Geezer, I imagined quite rightfully that the Webbo Mk. 3 would figure and even the HW 55.
    I also thought something in the Diana stable may also crop up but I know little of early Dianas so I couldn't speculate.
    The classic era Dianas all have good iron sights. As said above, the late 60s onward ones have really usable "iron" sights. On the better models, usually an alloy front with interchangeable elements and a plastic rear with click adjustments and a choice of four notches (square, which I always use, U, and - from memory, mine are locked up - two versions of a V, or a V and shallow U).

The earlier up-market Dianas have great rear sights, which can be converted to peeps with the right add-ons and moved to the rear sight rail. The sight radius on opens with the 50 is about perfect for shooters with OK eyesight. The front sights vary from sub-optimal (but period charming) beads on tapering post to the more target-oriented models that offer a quickly changeable range of four blades included in the unit. Considering their cost (lots were made), they are a great buy. You can get a great 50s model 50 for £200. Or less.

All those high-end 50s German rifles were set up for the nascent sport of 10M match. So their open sights are a cut above most British equivalents, which were set up for farmyard pests, let alone the American multi-pump and CO2 ones, which are frankly crude, no better than those on a Webley Mk1 pistol.
    Last edited by Geezer; 14-05-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Afterthoughts

Always get a big smile using a chums Diana 27 he's says he's left it to me in his will . Maybe a bit too recent but I've also enjoyed shooting hi original 45 and 50 not sure if they're a bequest yet! The hw 35e yes it's nice but as a southpaw that catch is on the wrong side and just breaks up my rhythm does shoot well tho it's my eyesight that lets it down nowadays.

Always had a liking for Stutzens. I shoot a nice scoped RB2 .22 but I've often fancied the Diana Stutzens, anyone own one ?
    Excepted that these are a more recent air rifle.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hi Baz,
    How is the sight picture with the (HW77?) Rear sight on the back block? I have been thinking of doing the same with one of my rifles
    Rich.
    The back sight is off a Chinese springer and works well. These sights are easy to come by after people fit a scope to replace them. The sight picture is fine and I made the front sight slightly thicker to compensate for the wider gap in the back sight element because of the eye being closer. The long sight radius is more efficient with open sight use. I really did it to make the rifle less cumbersome without a scope.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Always had a liking for Stutzens. I shoot a nice scoped RB2 .22 but I've often fancied the Diana Stutzens, anyone own one ?
    Excepted that these are a more recent air rifle.
    Afternoon fella. I've got a 430ST and also a 46ST. Unfortunately in.this instance both are scoped as my eyes are not what they used to be. Modern Diana foresight bead is a rather chunky affair but the 430 came to.me with a non std rear sight that was.mounted on the scope dovetail. Setting this rearward gave a long sight.line and one in hindsight I wish I had perhaps investigated more as I think it had potential.
    Both guns are very accurate with the correct pellet and set up.
    Dave

Thumbs up

Hi John

Not sure if Dioptre sights are deemed as 'Open' sights! (No optics though?).

I've also a Gecado mod35 (Original mod35) in .177cal..

There's also the other 35's too, The HW ones!!

Mk1 HW80

Type 01 Original mod50..

Webbo mk3

Let me know if you want me to bring any of them over next week- The scopes come off easily enough

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Why not bring a wheel barrow to Kempton in 45 days time