Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Excel .22 - Advice required please

Quote Originally Posted by Shoto1 View Post
    Thanks - that’s interesting to know.

Here is the serial number: 816824
    I'd guesstimate that's fairly early production - 1988-90 or thereabouts. Since Webley junked their records when they went bust in 2006, I don't think accurate dating is possible from any resource I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Webley prosystem, or Parker hale
    I think the Pro-System (of which a Chinese copy was still available recently) dates to the early 90s (others may know more), so not a bad choice. Others would be any of the classic 80s suppressors - Galway, Gunsport Hushpower, or contemporary alloy knock-offs of the Venom Slimtech. The actual Venom thing would never have been fitted to a budget gun like an Excel.

It could look and handle quite nice fitted with a Tracker barrel weight, if you can find one.

Always thought Webley missed a trick in not using that item across the springer range to offer a scope-only model - barrel weights and not very effective suppressors were the 80s airgun version of "tacticool".

Also never understood why the Tracker (and Viscount, as the original black-stocked "Stingray") got options like a matte black or camo stock, but the more popular Vulcan-based range didn't. A "tactical" stock barrel-weighted Vulcan/Excel would have sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I'd guesstimate that's fairly early production - 1988-90 or thereabouts. Since Webley junked their records when they went bust in 2006, I don't think accurate dating is possible from any resource I know of.

I think the Pro-System (of which a Chinese copy was still available recently) dates to the early 90s (others may know more), so not a bad choice. Others would be any of the classic 80s suppressors - Galway, Gunsport Hushpower, or contemporary alloy knock-offs of the Venom Slimtech. The actual Venom thing would never have been fitted to a budget gun like an Excel.

It could look and handle quite nice fitted with a Tracker barrel weight, if you can find one.

Always thought Webley missed a trick in not using that item across the springer range to offer a scope-only model - barrel weights and not very effective suppressors were the 80s airgun version of "tacticool".

Also never understood why the Tracker (and Viscount, as the original black-stocked "Stingray") got options like a matte black or camo stock, but the more popular Vulcan-based range didn't. A "tactical" stock barrel-weighted Vulcan/Excel would have sold.

Thanks again Geezer for your additional help and advice - I greatly appreciate it 👍

I now have it shooting quite well with H&N FTT (5.53mm).
    More testing to follow.

Just need to sort out the trigger as best as possible, it might give me an easier time if I changed the small spring to something softer, as mentioned previously in this thread.

Either way, it’s a fun project with this early example.
    Less is more

I think you can upgrade the trigger to a 2 stage adjustable one , which does make a significant improvement over the std one .

Regards
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    I think you can upgrade the trigger to a 2 stage adjustable one , which does make a significant improvement over the std one .

Regards
    James

Thanks - I shall look into that.
    I assume they are available from the usual sources.

When I figure out image uploads, I shall put up a couple of pics showing the action and trigger unit, (before the big clean up).
    Less is more

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post

Regards
    James
    https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24521/Excel/

Sorry, the trigger unit is no longer available or I owuld have had one for my Excel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagomorpheus View Post

Sorry, the trigger unit is no longer available or I owuld have had one for my Excel.

I shall keep my eye out for one, it would certainly make a tremendous difference with accuracy.
    Less is more

Have sent copy of a strip guide and the Excel manual to your e mail.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Lagomorpheus View Post

Try here :-

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/pr...rt-No.-V30TWO/

I bought my Excels a while back and am lucky enough to have them v Mach’d andctrigger upgraded (which requires a bit of stock letting in trigger area)

There are two stock patterns

The thin flat one - this is a bit low and works well set up with a one piece mount and 50mm objective lends scope (honest) for average size Adult. LOP is short but OK unless tall

The heavier Ambi cheek piece stock, if fitted with adjustable but pad becomes full size adult rifle

I used to use them as shoot from 4x4 rifle for close up (squirrels on drive of estate on way in etc)

I did in the end end up using BSA Ultra instead ...

I now use as a perfect ‘garden gun’ but would have no probs using as a main hunting rifle

Best pellets are usually FTT 5.53 (sometimes 5.54) or RWS - the classic SDome SPoint SHPoint. These old Webleys usually shoot all of those so are very versatile as you can match pellets to quarry (which does make a difference)
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Have sent copy of a strip guide and the Excel manual to your e mail.

Cheers, Phil

Email received and replied to.

I am very grateful for this Phil - very kind of you. 👍

Best wishes.
    Less is more

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I bought my Excels a while back and am lucky enough to have them v Mach’d andctrigger upgraded (which requires a bit of stock letting in trigger area)

There are two stock patterns

The thin flat one - this is a bit low and works well set up with a one piece mount and 50mm objective lends scope (honest) for average size Adult. LOP is short but OK unless tall

The heavier Ambi cheek piece stock, if fitted with adjustable but pad becomes full size adult rifle

I used to use them as shoot from 4x4 rifle for close up (squirrels on drive of estate on way in etc)

I did in the end end up using BSA Ultra instead ...

I now use as a perfect ‘garden gun’ but would have no probs using as a main hunting rifle

Best pellets are usually FTT 5.53 (sometimes 5.54) or RWS - the classic SDome SPoint SHPoint. These old Webleys usually shoot all of those so are very versatile as you can match pellets to quarry (which does make a difference)

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I concur with your observations on pellets and this one does seem to like the 5.53mm FTT, (giving on average just under 11 FPE).

Coincidentally, this exact pellet / size, works best through my 1987 HW80.

I will keep my eye out for a two stage trigger and see how things progress.
    Less is more

Guys don't waste your cash on the two stage trigger it's nothing of the sort, all it is is the standard geometry with a pivot in the middle of the blade, when you take up the first stage your simply compressing a spring in the pivot, the actual sear does not move at all, if you want to improve the Webley trigger you can reduce the contact face by 25% and polish the faces , you can then fit a lighter spring without any safety issues, makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Guys don't waste your cash on the two stage trigger it's nothing of the sort, all it is is the standard geometry with a pivot in the middle of the blade, when you take up the first stage your simply compressing a spring in the pivot, the actual sear does not move at all, if you want to improve the Webley trigger you can reduce the contact face by 25% and polish the faces , you can then fit a lighter spring without any safety issues, makes a huge difference.
    Thanks.

That sounds like the best idea, work with what I have already.

The standard trigger is ‘agricultural’ at best, leaving me little idea when it’s going to break.
    I suppose with practice it could become useable but I want to eliminate as many variables as possible and increase the reliable accuracy.

It’s going to be an interesting project.
    Less is more

Things are moving along nicely with this project.

A few spare bits have arrived so it might be complete within the next week or so, depending on time.

Hopefully I will be able to put an image or two up in due course.

Thanks to all those who have helped / contributed to this thread 👍
    Less is more