Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay hands up, who goes hunting without one?.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Okay hands up, who goes hunting without one?.

Just wondering who goes out shooting and never uses a bipod or tripod?. I see them as being indispensable and could not imagine not having one with me. It would be especially interesting to hear from any members who don't use one and if so why not.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Do sticks count?

If rabbiting during the its usually a bipod as I tend to wait and snipe rather than walk and stalk.

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Just wondering who goes out shooting and never uses a bipod or tripod?. I see them as being indispensable and could not imagine not having one with me. It would be especially interesting to hear from any members who don't use one and if so why not.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Walkabout no..., Static sometimes.... NV always
    Mostly I find it gets in the way folded up but it's great sitting with the nitesight as your watching the screen holding the point of the butt with your usual forgrip hand with the other on the trigger grip.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

secretagentmole Guest
    If I am roost shooting then no!
    Rabbit ambushing then yes...

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Because they don't work on break barrel springers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

If I'm going for a walk in the woods, I don't usually take one as there's always something to rest on or against and, most shots are fairly short range.

For everything else, it's usually a Primos stick.

All of the above.

Never used a bipod or sticks to hunt in 35 years.
    For me its just additional kit to carry and more to faff around with.
    All my shooting is walked up. Little if any opportunity to rest on anything save the odd gate.
    No good areas to sit and wait and even if i did, the lie of the ground would make shooting from a bipod impossible.

Just become accustomed to taking standing shots over the years.

I've learned to compensate by choosing rifles with short proportions and less forward weight and use low mag scopes that reduce apparent wobble.
    B.A.S.C. member

I just bought a Primos gen 3 trigger stick at great expense and initially I thought it was the best idea ever, after dragging it 5 miles round the farm the other day I changed my mind, by the time I planted it on the ground and set my shot up, everything had buggered off. Pain in the arse to carry round as well, it would be good for static hunts but as I don't do much of that they are currently in the back of my garage, where I flung them in a fit of financial regret

Never.
    Bb

during summer months i use my aas400 (bipod attached) i snipe underneath headge rows as i find walking around rabbits/woodies scarpper when ya make a noise,so yes bipod used,but in winter time when its damp/wet i use a springer without bipod,im keen and love hunting but i aint lying in damp grass lol.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Used neither when I used to do a lot of rabbit shooting with Rapids as there often would be walls, trees or something to rest on if necessary and similarily with rimfire but nowadays when deer stalking I have Harris's on both centrefires and also use a Primos 2 occasionally.
    Absolutly essential !
    “An airgun or two”………

I only really take an air rifle now if I'm shooting the woods so don't need bipod or sticks as there's plenty of support but I might carry a set of legs in the rucksack.

RF or CF rifles in the fields I always carry sticks, at the moment a set of 4stable swing quad sticks.

Don't normally bother as the grass is usually too long and I don't like the way they effect the balance and weight of the rifle. Sometimes use one when shooting off a bench. If I need to get steady for a longer shot i prefer to sit and rest my forehand on my left knee and my right elbow on my right knee.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Ive never owed both.
    Master Debater

Most of my shooting is off the knee or resting on trees ,fence post or gates . the only time is use a bipod is to put the gun down