Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Zoom Scope with Parallax Adjustment

Small Zoom Scope with Parallax Adjustment

I'm on the look-out for a small zoom scope with adjustable parallax. I do a bit of plinking and vermin control and my preference is for relatively low mag scopes which sit low on the rifle. My priorities are glass quality and field of view rather than gadgets. Hence I am not that fussed about IR unless the reticle is so fine that you need illumination to see it against a dark background. My price limit is about £150. Hawke do 2-7x32 in the Vantage and Airmax ranges, both with adjustable objective, and Bushnell have a 2-7x32 in their AR Optics range which is side focus. Do any of you have experience with any of these scopes or anything similar which I have not thought of.

You don't really need AO with 32mm objective lensed scopes ....

A Nikon 2-7 x 32 Pro Staff set up right will be sharp from infinity to pretty much the end of your barrel at 2x mag , for example
    Probably the best glass you will get within your budget -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I've a couple of 'Bug Blasters' - one a 6x32 the other a 3-9x32, AO will focus down to 9 feet on both, they're about 9" long and optics are good.

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    I've a couple of 'Bug Blasters' - one a 6x32 the other a 3-9x32, AO will focus down to 9 feet on both, they're about 9" long and optics are good.
    That's a good suggestion.. there is the sabre 2-7 AO also from our sponsors jsramsbottom.
    Nikon prostaffs are excellent but non px adjustable, and there is the vortex Diamondback 2-7 as well.... Also awesome but both are much more money.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

not sure if they are knock offs but there is the tasco 2-6x32 https://www.socomtactical.net/sights...dot-riflescope
    I have seen some with a mildot reticle and some with a crossbow type reticle .

I had the crossbow reticle one on my crosman XT2250 and it was a great scope. the instructions that came with it had weaver logos on them .

can vouch for the hawke 2-7x32 vantage AO IR lovely little scope locked onto my hw95 .22

the parallax adjustment on the scope is not only to make the image sharper but to get rid of parallax error.

Which is usually huge at close up range work!! You can easily get sharp image on most of the scopes by turning the mag down, but there is a good chance that you will miss because the parallax error is still there. Sharp image yes, poi is not poa typical.

the same for scope sellers/makers. Are still disconnected from reality in the UK trying to sell you huge big heavy scopes/ probably for profits only.
    I went through many large models and ended up with very small pieces in the end. All manually reparallaxed.

you will not find a perfect small one out of box I have not found one yet, but I can tell you how you can make yourself one.

for example:
    go to aliexpress if you have not registered yet, do it and get yourself one of these MINOX-ZA-5i-HD-1-2-6X24 I have got the model with the bdc 800 reticule delivered(was a week max wait).
    It is not too expensive if things go wrong... it is however parallaxed at 100yards. The good thing is it is easy to reset. This is not always the case with other scopes what you get in the shop.

I just did it, by turning its front objective anti clockwise 2-3 full turns, you can make it sharp and most importantly parallax free down to 5yards! obviously at max magnification 6x far distance shots will be blurred, I turned the parallax down to 15 yards, which is probably best compromise. HFT do it at 25 but you get the idea. Mine was fitted to a pistol.

there was no need to heat the front, the front objective on this model is not locked, had to make a tool to turn it but all it takes a metal ruler and file it down to fit into the tube from the front, but be large enough for the recesses on the locking ring. good luck

at 1.2x you can shoot with it with both eyes open has got 10cm eye relief, at 6x the eye relief is shorter but the magnification is sufficient for longer shots.
    you don't want any front OA, set it up once and forget it.

This model I recommend will outdo all the scopes suggested above. I have set it crystal clear at 6x at 3m and no floating crosshairs most importantly.
    it is possible.

...of course you can get some commercial standard scope from the shop, but it will not come nowhere close to one manually setup.
    I have reparallaxed a hawke panorama older model too recently, probably newer are not that easy or even possible. Scope maker are getting 'smarter'
    Last edited by krisko; 19-05-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Guys,

Sorry I've not responded earlier but I have been in hospital for a few days. Thanks for all your tips/suggestions.

rhyslightnin,

I've already got a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 which is a cracking scope but fixed parallax. I couldn't loosen the objective lens locking ring and was nervous about heating the scope. I did manage to rotate the lens carrier, which of course took the locking ring with it. In this way I managed to re-parallax the scope to about 23yds but then had to tape it up with insulating tape to keep everything locked in place. Far from ideal.

krisko,

I'm intrigued by your advice ref the MINOX-ZA-5i-HD-1-2-6X24 available via aliexpress. The scope looks an interesting spec. It appears to be discontinued by MINOX but I found one UK retailer via Google who sells other scopes in the ZA range from between £499 - £999 so how come aliexpress has it for about US$100. I'm not familiar with aliwxpress. How does it work? How can I verify this is a genuine Minox scope? Is there a catch?

It's not genuine, it's a Chinese knock off which is why it's dirt cheap

Hope i am not seen to be a heretic but although i have glaucoma in my shooting eye which reduces my peripheral vision by 50% and general blurring and greying over,BUT i purchased a BSA 3-9X40 AO to go on a new SMK280,cheap gun cheap scope and i have found it be excellent,not touched since i first set it up, i find it nice and bright and clear,granted i only use at 25yds on bench rest but have found it to be £32 well spent with our sponsor.
    Don.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by gwyn View Post
    Hope i am not seen to be a heretic but although i have glaucoma in my shooting eye which reduces my peripheral vision by 50% and general blurring and greying over,BUT i purchased a BSA 3-9X40 AO to go on a new SMK280,cheap gun cheap scope and i have found it be excellent,not touched since i first set it up, i find it nice and bright and clear,granted i only use at 25yds on bench rest but have found it to be £32 well spent with our sponsor.
    Don.
    Not a heretic at all Don, all our eyes a different. Its about what you see down the scope and what works for you !

Good shooting !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn View Post
    Don.
    Funny you should say that a few months back I picked up a early BSA Ultra MMC that my old work mate had stored in his van for years it was a little unloved but came with a 3-9x32AO BSA Scope.

At the time I didn’t pay much attention to the scope as I couldn’t really shoulder the rifle at the location I was in so the scope didn’t really add any real value plus I noticed horrid cheap high mounts on such a little scope I honestly thought I would be changing that optical setup anyway.

Well how wrong was I

On closer inspection that little BSA 3-9x32AO was flipping excellent.

I junked the mounts and fitted some better quality lower mounts and rolled with the bsa scope it was damn good very bright and crisp.

My local club is at an indoor tunnel range where artificial light really does highlight any poor scopes especially at mid to longer range.

I’ve had all sorts from budget esq and decent mid range scopes and it always amazes me that even identical makes and models can be very different and some lesser known cheaper offerings turn out surprisingly really good.

hello, is a Hawke Sport HD 4 X 32 any good ?????

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    hello, is a Hawke Sport HD 4 X 32 any good ?????
    The 2-7x32 certainly is, I have one from our sponsor from a year or so ago which is IR and the centre cross is nice and fine. Only downside was the parralax was fixed @ 100 yds but very easy to adjust, which I did.

Quote Originally Posted by JimWW View Post
    Guys,

Sorry I've not responded earlier but I have been in hospital for a few days. Thanks for all your tips/suggestions.

rhyslightnin,

I've already got a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 which is a cracking scope but fixed parallax. I couldn't loosen the objective lens locking ring and was nervous about heating the scope. I did manage to rotate the lens carrier, which of course took the locking ring with it. In this way I managed to re-parallax the scope to about 23yds but then had to tape it up with insulating tape to keep everything locked in place. Far from ideal.
    I have a few scopes taped under the flip up on the objective, your right, it's far from ideal but it does allow you to use the better glass for less money. I've had both the diamond back hp 2-8 & 3-12.. both lovely scopes but the fov was much much narrower than the diamond back making it not so great for hunting. If your in the garden or hft then fine but I kept loosing birds in trees between spotting and shouldering.

Is the reason for parallax adjustment because of error using the scope you have or because you dislike the tape idea?
    Rhys

Ps, sorry to hear that you have been in hospital mate I hope you are feeling better
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.