Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fwb sport restoration

Fwb sport restoration

Evening folks, I have just had two sports completely refurbished, before having all the work done they were both as twangy as you would expect for forty year old springers that had never been messed with.
    Now, after going to the expense of bringing them back to their former glory I would like them to shoot better/ smoother at around 10.5, ish.
    I will carry out the usual polishing, deburring etc, if I had infinite amounts of money to throw at them I would send them to tony wall at sfs to do his magic knowing they would come back incredible, but I haven't, so, suggestions of springs, seals etc that could make a smooth shot cycle, I do not want to put any plastic bits into them as I would prefer to get the effect of a traditional old school tune.
    Cheers,
    Jamie.

I've owned Sports since 1982 (crikey, that is a long time ago, still feels like yesterday!).

Mine only got twangy when they needed lube.

They are "snappy" in factory trim.

That is clearly not a bad thing, given their dominance of FT before the 77 came along and redefined the genre. They do boing about a bit, but they hit what they were aimed at.

As I am sure you know, they have colossal pre-load. So, if happy with a gun running at less than "maximum legal full hunting power", my thought would be to lop off a couple of coils from the factory spring.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    reduce piston weight (lathe trim), get a spring that actually fits the fixed guide, piston sleave, open the port out a fraction (3.2mm) with a reamer... but only if you have lightened the piston. Ensure seal is tightish fit - if yours is loose replace (BSA supersport seals can be sized down to fit (29mm vs 28mm)). I'll bring my .177 to the bash which has had that lot done, so you have a reference
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

To both of you thank you for such awesome and helpful input. I would dearly love to try the tuned sport at the bash please.

Quote Originally Posted by GB2017 View Post
    I've had some great stuff done by ww but I really don't want to go down the plastic bits road in these.
    I'm still considering sending one of them up to sfs to have the full tune, but one must be done at a modest cost in the old school fashion, I'm sure it must be possible to get a soft shooting rifle without going the whole nine yards.
    Bongo has also come up with some interesting ideas that we will mull over tomorrow night.

The T W Chambers standard spring with piston/breech seal kit works very well for me and at reasonable cost methinks.
    If you don't like them after trial. I'll buy them Dim but willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    I've had some great stuff done by ww but I really don't want to go down the plastic bits road in these.
    I'm still considering sending one of them up to sfs to have the full tune, but one must be done at a modest cost in the old school fashion, I'm sure it must be possible to get a soft shooting rifle without going the whole nine yards.
    Bongo has also come up with some interesting ideas that we will mull over tomorrow night.
    I've put a WW kit in my 127; it's still running in, but I will bring it to the bash.

I bought a V-Mach kit for my 124 and it has made one hell of a difference. I too will have it at the Bash. You're more than welcome to have a play with it.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    if the main goal is soft shooting, a tighter seal will yield that result
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

So a tighter seal and opening out the tp a little, that all sounds ok. I would very much like to try some others at the bash please for comparison.

Jamie, I'll bring mine to the bash for you to have a furtle with. It's got some interesting internals...

If you need a standard spring, I think I have one in my spares box.

Correction, the bloody thing is too long for my spares box.

Thank you for the offer, one springs a bit bent, the other is very shiny and straight. The seals are in need of replacement so need to find a good replacement for them.

I have a spring compressor that I made for my Sport that I can bring. I also think I have a good piston seal in my spares box.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    Thank you for the offer, one springs a bit bent, the other is very shiny and straight. The seals are in need of replacement so need to find a good replacement for them.
    Piston and breech Jamie? I'm pretty sure I went to Chambers for my piston seal. Breech seal wise, I think I have a spare I can bring.