Thread: Pistol - harmful range

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pistol - harmful range

Learned Folk,

just acquired a new little Beretta CO2 blowback pistol 8 shot bb , reversable magazine.
    I read the pamphlet that came with it & it says danger of harm to 360m. I know this has probably been asked before but what do they base this distance on?

It is great fun & fully digests lots of CO2 !!!
    Brocock/ ss .22 sidewinder .22 aa s400 .177 webley .177 Russian sidelever 6 shot thingy, .177 multishot CO2 pistol, old BSA .22 Pistol That I learned to pistol shoot on, .22 Spanish Rifle ASI Rangemaster , Gat Gun somewhere ,177 sp100 , BSA .177 pre war rifle .

Any firearm fired with the barrel at about 20 degrees to the horizontal will send its projectile at an extended range and can still do damage. With a CO2 pistol there are a lot of variables especially temperature so I suppose the manufacturers are just covering themselves with 360 metres. The bb could still cause eye damage as an incoming at a fair distance.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Although rather more powerful than BB firing pistols, I use my Steyr LP10 to shoot water filled balloons at 50M

With the muzzle velocity around 525fps, there's Plenty of poke at that range to burst the balloons using RWS 7.0grn match pellets
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Colonel Julian Hatcher of the U.S. Army did a lot of studies with ballistics firing various weapons at different angles even vertically. He said the humble .455 Webley could carry for over 1300 yards when fired at a 20 degree elevation. There are many instances of accidental killings from long range shots taken beyond the line of sight of the shooter, especially .22 rimfire.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I always thought that the angle for maximum distance was around 45 degrees? Am I missing a trick?
    Cheers, Phil

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I always thought that the angle for maximum distance was around 45 degrees? Am I missing a trick?
    Cheers, Phil
    This would be true on level ground but for the decrease in velocity caused by drag. They come down steeper than they went up, for all angles greater than horizontal and less than vertical.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

According to Chairgun; an 8 grain BB fired at 400 fps would still be doing 90 fps at 190 yards but you'd need to aim 160 feet above your target to hit it!

Below a a certain speed the pellets bounce off the skin. They might still take out an eye but that is it. I'd be more worried about someone getting scared and calling out the armed response unit.

Harm

Quote Originally Posted by Turriking View Post
    Learned Folk,

just acquired a new little Beretta CO2 blowback pistol 8 shot bb , reversable magazine.
    I read the pamphlet that came with it & it says danger of harm to 360m. I know this has probably been asked before but what do they base this distance on?

It is great fun & fully digests lots of CO2 !!!
    The Beretta would be very dangerous at 360m if you fired it out of a cannon! excepting that I suppose throwing it at someone!

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    And at 75 yards we use a much smaller bucket.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS7Usvz0Vk
    Fantastic!

Tinbum reckons he's hit it with a pistol - but I don't believe him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray1Mark View Post
    Those were the good old days, a friend driving through France had a bullet go through the window of his car, upon visiting the Police station he was told that he should drive more carefully through a well known hunting area!
    Hahaha.

This is in part a lawyer thing. Especially in the US, if you don't at least slightly overstate the muzzle velocity and dangerous range of your product, you are, as a manufacturer, in deep trouble if someone gets hurts with one that is over your figures.

On the other hand, people in general tend to underestimate the maximum nasty range of guns (like the idea that .22LR is potentially dangerous to a mile, which is true, but surprises many).

For example, I recall that back in the 80s there was a case when UK Police officers were firing 9mmP from semi-auto SMGs (Sterlings, I think), and a round went awry, killing or badly wounding someone at 1600 or so yards/metres. A lot of people would not think that a 9x19mm could go that far, let alone do damage - and I can recall being told by an instructor in the 80s that 9mm from an SMG would not penetrate a Bergen at 100 paces. Oddly, he didn't accept my offer of shooting him, wearing a Bergen, at that distance. Probably a good idea all round.

Key point: most airguns remain dangerous over longer ranges than many people think. Recognise that and adapt to it. Basically, use a good backstop at any distance. Do not rely on distance alone. Sermon over.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

For example, I recall that back in the 80s there was a case when UK Police officers were firing 9mmP from semi-auto SMGs (Sterlings, I think), and a round went awry, killing or badly wounding someone at 1600 or so yards/metres. A lot of people would not think that a 9x19mm could go that far, let alone do damage - and I can recall being told by an instructor in the 80s that 9mm from an SMG would not penetrate a Bergen at 100 paces. Oddly, he didn't accept my offer of shooting him, wearing a Bergen, at that distance. Probably a good idea all round.
    Those SMG loads for 9mm Parabellum are monstrously hot aren't they? The 'Bergen' story sounds alot like the WW2 'greatcoat' story, which is where the Army instructor takes an issue greatcoat and soaks it in water, hangs it on a line 75 yards downrange and then fires a couple of bursts from a Sten gun at it. The bullets hit but do not penetrate both sides of the coat. Wow, amazing. Possibly it's because the coat weighs about 150lbs with all that water in it and sways about absorbing the energy OR story is actually also bollocks. Why would you want to show your soldiers that their armament is a wussy ninny-hammer of less use that a cricket ball? Not going to encourage them is it? If I was one of the soldiers I'd be throwing the Sten away and asking for an SMLE. There are other stories about .30 calibre M1 carbine rounds not going through Chinese soldiers' frozen padded coats in the Korean war - those things have about 900 fpe so even at 100 yards its going to cut flesh. I think its more people just MISSING THE TARGET, something that is easy to do with a semi-auto or automatic gun fired rapidly.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Fantastic!

Tinbum reckons he's hit it with a pistol - but I don't believe him.

Hahaha.
    He actually did Phil, I saw him walk the 75 yards over to it and hit that bucket squarely in the face with the pistol
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    He actually did Phil, I saw him walk the 75 yards over to it and hit that bucket squarely in the face with the pistol
    Wot? With those lickle legs?

Now I know you're fibbing!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

225 of his little paces each way? I guess it's possible...