Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol - harmful range

Pistol - harmful range

Learned Folk,

just acquired a new little Beretta CO2 blowback pistol 8 shot bb , reversable magazine.
    I read the pamphlet that came with it & it says danger of harm to 360m. I know this has probably been asked before but what do they base this distance on?

It is great fun & fully digests lots of CO2 !!!
    Brocock/ ss .22 sidewinder .22 aa s400 .177 webley .177 Russian sidelever 6 shot thingy, .177 multishot CO2 pistol, old BSA .22 Pistol That I learned to pistol shoot on, .22 Spanish Rifle ASI Rangemaster , Gat Gun somewhere ,177 sp100 , BSA .177 pre war rifle .

Any firearm fired with the barrel at about 20 degrees to the horizontal will send its projectile at an extended range and can still do damage. With a CO2 pistol there are a lot of variables especially temperature so I suppose the manufacturers are just covering themselves with 360 metres. The bb could still cause eye damage as an incoming at a fair distance.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Although rather more powerful than BB firing pistols, I use my Steyr LP10 to shoot water filled balloons at 50M

With the muzzle velocity around 525fps, there's Plenty of poke at that range to burst the balloons using RWS 7.0grn match pellets
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Colonel Julian Hatcher of the U.S. Army did a lot of studies with ballistics firing various weapons at different angles even vertically. He said the humble .455 Webley could carry for over 1300 yards when fired at a 20 degree elevation. There are many instances of accidental killings from long range shots taken beyond the line of sight of the shooter, especially .22 rimfire.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I always thought that the angle for maximum distance was around 45 degrees? Am I missing a trick?
    Cheers, Phil

According to Chairgun; an 8 grain BB fired at 400 fps would still be doing 90 fps at 190 yards but you'd need to aim 160 feet above your target to hit it!

Below a a certain speed the pellets bounce off the skin. They might still take out an eye but that is it. I'd be more worried about someone getting scared and calling out the armed response unit.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I always thought that the angle for maximum distance was around 45 degrees? Am I missing a trick?
    Cheers, Phil
    This would be true on level ground but for the decrease in velocity caused by drag. They come down steeper than they went up, for all angles greater than horizontal and less than vertical.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Any kind of shot, apart from maybe shooting vertically at pigeons roosting, should have a safe back-stop of earth or similar. Those YouTube videos of Americans shooting masses of rounds in the woods and just across fields gives me the hebejebies...

Well quite. Take Quigley (who is a bit of a hero around here):

Note that 'Whitey' drops the bucket on the blind crest of a dirt road. There's no way I'd take that shot. If there happens to be a rambler walking towards us from beyond the crest, the first bit of him we're going to see is his hat (containing his head), at bucket-level.

I have performed the same shot (simulated, to scale, with a pellet gun) myself, at Mick's range - in much safer circumstances. As have many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I have performed the same shot (simulated, to scale, with a pellet gun) myself, at Mick's range - in much safer circumstances. As have many others.
    And at 75 yards we use a much smaller bucket.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS7Usvz0Vk

It is a little bit optimistic with its figure. A 6FPE pistol will be able to fire a pellet about 350 yards, though if there is a stiff tailwind it is possible that the range stated could be reached. BBs etc and a lower power will reduce the maximum range of course.
    I was regularly firing military small arms at 20 degrees and tracking them with radar then calculating the maximum range. Maximum ranges could be anything from 2000 metres up to 6000 metres for half inch weapons. The angle for maximum range will depend on the projectile size, shape and muzzle velocity and can be anything between 20 and 60 degrees if we include artillery weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    And at 75 yards we use a much smaller bucket.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS7Usvz0Vk
    I love the beeping sound of the bucket mate, always makes me grin can't wait for June.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Well quite. Take Quigley (who is a bit of a hero around here):

Note that 'Whitey' drops the bucket on the blind crest of a dirt road. There's no way I'd take that shot. If there happens to be a rambler walking towards us from beyond the crest, the first bit of him we're going to see is his hat (containing his head), at bucket-level.

Those were the good old days, a friend driving through France had a bullet go through the window of his car, upon visiting the Police station he was told that he should drive more carefully through a well known hunting area!

Harm

Quote Originally Posted by Turriking View Post
    Learned Folk,

just acquired a new little Beretta CO2 blowback pistol 8 shot bb , reversable magazine.
    I read the pamphlet that came with it & it says danger of harm to 360m. I know this has probably been asked before but what do they base this distance on?

It is great fun & fully digests lots of CO2 !!!
    The Beretta would be very dangerous at 360m if you fired it out of a cannon! excepting that I suppose throwing it at someone!