Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol - harmful range

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Well quite. Take Quigley (who is a bit of a hero around here):

Note that 'Whitey' drops the bucket on the blind crest of a dirt road. There's no way I'd take that shot. If there happens to be a rambler walking towards us from beyond the crest, the first bit of him we're going to see is his hat (containing his head), at bucket-level.

I have performed the same shot (simulated, to scale, with a pellet gun) myself, at Mick's range - in much safer circumstances. As have many others.
    I have had the chance at loads of rabbits in shoots like the above and I have not taken them.As you say ,You do not know whats coming the other way . Anything like that or skylined gets left to either move down the slope towards me or left altogether .

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Like look at this guy shooting a 7.62 at metal targets with houses a few hundred yards away... dangerous idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKtbf8VQkiE

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Well quite. Take Quigley (who is a bit of a hero around here):

Note that 'Whitey' drops the bucket on the blind crest of a dirt road. There's no way I'd take that shot. If there happens to be a rambler walking towards us from beyond the crest, the first bit of him we're going to see is his hat (containing his head), at bucket-level.

I have performed the same shot (simulated, to scale, with a pellet gun) myself, at Mick's range - in much safer circumstances. As have many others.
    and from standing freehand too...

& to perform the same simulated feat with a pellet gun you'd have to find 0.010" bore

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    And at 75 yards we use a much smaller bucket.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS7Usvz0Vk
    Fantastic!

Tinbum reckons he's hit it with a pistol - but I don't believe him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray1Mark View Post
    Those were the good old days, a friend driving through France had a bullet go through the window of his car, upon visiting the Police station he was told that he should drive more carefully through a well known hunting area!
    Hahaha.

This is in part a lawyer thing. Especially in the US, if you don't at least slightly overstate the muzzle velocity and dangerous range of your product, you are, as a manufacturer, in deep trouble if someone gets hurts with one that is over your figures.

On the other hand, people in general tend to underestimate the maximum nasty range of guns (like the idea that .22LR is potentially dangerous to a mile, which is true, but surprises many).

For example, I recall that back in the 80s there was a case when UK Police officers were firing 9mmP from semi-auto SMGs (Sterlings, I think), and a round went awry, killing or badly wounding someone at 1600 or so yards/metres. A lot of people would not think that a 9x19mm could go that far, let alone do damage - and I can recall being told by an instructor in the 80s that 9mm from an SMG would not penetrate a Bergen at 100 paces. Oddly, he didn't accept my offer of shooting him, wearing a Bergen, at that distance. Probably a good idea all round.

Key point: most airguns remain dangerous over longer ranges than many people think. Recognise that and adapt to it. Basically, use a good backstop at any distance. Do not rely on distance alone. Sermon over.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Fantastic!

Tinbum reckons he's hit it with a pistol - but I don't believe him.

Hahaha.
    He actually did Phil, I saw him walk the 75 yards over to it and hit that bucket squarely in the face with the pistol
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    He actually did Phil, I saw him walk the 75 yards over to it and hit that bucket squarely in the face with the pistol
    Wot? With those lickle legs?

Now I know you're fibbing!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

225 of his little paces each way? I guess it's possible...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

For example, I recall that back in the 80s there was a case when UK Police officers were firing 9mmP from semi-auto SMGs (Sterlings, I think), and a round went awry, killing or badly wounding someone at 1600 or so yards/metres. A lot of people would not think that a 9x19mm could go that far, let alone do damage - and I can recall being told by an instructor in the 80s that 9mm from an SMG would not penetrate a Bergen at 100 paces. Oddly, he didn't accept my offer of shooting him, wearing a Bergen, at that distance. Probably a good idea all round.
    Those SMG loads for 9mm Parabellum are monstrously hot aren't they? The 'Bergen' story sounds alot like the WW2 'greatcoat' story, which is where the Army instructor takes an issue greatcoat and soaks it in water, hangs it on a line 75 yards downrange and then fires a couple of bursts from a Sten gun at it. The bullets hit but do not penetrate both sides of the coat. Wow, amazing. Possibly it's because the coat weighs about 150lbs with all that water in it and sways about absorbing the energy OR story is actually also bollocks. Why would you want to show your soldiers that their armament is a wussy ninny-hammer of less use that a cricket ball? Not going to encourage them is it? If I was one of the soldiers I'd be throwing the Sten away and asking for an SMLE. There are other stories about .30 calibre M1 carbine rounds not going through Chinese soldiers' frozen padded coats in the Korean war - those things have about 900 fpe so even at 100 yards its going to cut flesh. I think its more people just MISSING THE TARGET, something that is easy to do with a semi-auto or automatic gun fired rapidly.