Thread: Can you remove rust spots on a blued finish with wire wool without removing the blue?

Can you remove rust spots on a blued finish with wire wool without removing the blue?

If you've got 'light' suface rust on a blued finish can you remove them using fine steel wool, I've read that you can, but I'm worried it will rub away the blueing too.

Should you use the wool 'as is' or with a light oil?

Fine grade wool, oil, light touch, no problem.

This stainless steel material is the best I have found, with WD-40 it seems to just scrape off the rust without affecting the bluing. Can even put pressure on it to get tuffer spots. Have used 0000 steel wool and it works but not quite as effectively or easily. It’s looks like it would be coarse, kind of counter-intuitive, but just works like a charm, slides harmlessly across surface.. Have no idea if it’s sold in UK.

I've always had great results with Flitz polish. It doesn't affect the blueing but takes cares of the rust. Leaves protective finish is a plus.

An old bronze coin with oil is also good, needs to be an early all bronze coin with a smooth edge, Oil prior and then lightly rub with the edge of the coin, The rust will clear and the coin will wear on the edge you use, keep rotating and applying the oil, I've used this method many times and not damaged any blued finish, I know keep a collection of old 2p & 1P coins for this purpose and get the missus to keep her old one's.

DON'T do this with any post 1992 coins as they changed the composition, They look the same but are plated steel which will wreck the finish. This was shown to me years ago by an elderly restorer and is a method iv'e used ever since.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    An old bronze coin with oil is also good, needs to be an early all bronze coin with a smooth edge, Oil prior and then lightly rub with the edge of the coin, The rust will clear and the coin will wear on the edge you use, keep rotating and applying the oil, I've used this method many times and not damaged any blued finish, I know keep a collection of old 2p & 1P coins for this purpose and get the missus to keep her old one's.

DON'T do this with any post 1992 coins as they changed the composition, They look the same but are plated steel which will wreck the finish. This was shown to me years ago by an elderly restorer and is a method iv'e used ever since.
    That is bloody marvellous got to ask how did he find out if you know. Thanks for sharing got to be tip of the year but it's in with a shot at tip of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    I've always had great results with Flitz polish. It doesn't affect the blueing but takes cares of the rust. Leaves protective finish is a plus.
    I used this on my COLT blackpowder pistol once took the case hardening right off, and on the bluing my rag was blue in color?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    That is bloody marvellous got to ask how did he find out if you know. Thanks for sharing got to be tip of the year but it's in with a shot at tip of the decade.
    No idea where he got it from, I cleaned an old BSA standard recently, removed the rust and exposed all the original etching intact, takes patience as only covers a small area at a time, I actually have a lot of his old tools which he gave to me when I started my engineering apprenticeship after school, lovely old squares and dividers, scribers etc, all hand made, really nice guy that was happy to pass on knowledge and skills many of which that would probably long forgotten now if he hadn't. proper old school gent, to this day I still wipe my tools down with a oil rag before putting away,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Copper pan scouring pads worked well, try dry first as some people say that if you use oil it holds the rust and causes the bluing to be removed but I have had some nothing to lose guns and had to use oil to get the last bit of corrosion off.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I used this on my COLT blackpowder pistol once took the case hardening right off, and on the bluing my rag was blue in color?
    ALWAYS test Flitz on a non-visible surface before diving in full-bore.

For most modern chemical blueing it is harmless, but it will instantly dissolve old-time rust blueing. If you aren’t sure what you’ve got, be careful with it.

I think the stuff Flint45 pictured is sometimes known as Frontier Big 45 (only available in the US)...I've used the stuff and it's brilliant, looks aggressive but if used with oil I've found leaves the blue unmarked.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I've used the copper coin trick for donkeys years too, not sure where I heard it from either.

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    No idea where he got it from, I cleaned an old BSA standard recently, removed the rust and exposed all the original etching intact, takes patience as only covers a small area at a time, I actually have a lot of his old tools which he gave to me when I started my engineering apprenticeship after school, lovely old squares and dividers, scribers etc, all hand made, really nice guy that was happy to pass on knowledge and skills many of which that would probably long forgotten now if he hadn't. proper old school gent, to this day I still wipe my tools down with a oil rag before putting away,
    You touched lucky meeting him and so did we when you passed on the tip thanks again
    The Tipton pads Flint mentioned are available on Amazon UK me I'm looking out my old loose change first, I've had plenty of time to mull over a pearl of wisdom given to me as an apprentice "there's always time to do it twice but never enough time to do it properly " that usually was aimed at those in charge and never us lowly grunts .
    Cheers again for the tip .

thanks everyone for all the tips - amazing knowledge on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by JMH123 View Post
    Fine grade wool, oil, light touch, no problem.
    hello, this but the finest grade and 3 in 1 oil