Thread: Old BSA peepsight - but how old ?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Old BSA peepsight - but how old ?

Just bought this on the bay...

I'm actually quite pleased with it, but can't decide between putting it on my T series, or on my Britannia (which needs it most, but it just seems right to put it on a BSA instead)..

But how old (roughly) do you think the sight is ?

Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

It's a pre-WW1 no.8 peep sight. They were fitted to air rifles but were realy designed for the BSA Martini rifles.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi Jon,

The BSA No 8 sight was patented in 1907 and was still being advertised in 1939.

I have seen an original boxed No 8 and it may come as a surprise that the sight was described as being intended for Miniature (small bore) rifles and Air Rifles on the box. I have found them more comfortable on a straight hand stocked BSA than a pistol hand stocked rifle as there is more space for the thumb. I also have one fitted to a Britannia, which looks contemporary judging from the patina.

Hope that helps.

John

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Thanks both..

That really helps, as I'd rather fit it to the Britania, which makes even more sense now I know they were (just) contemporary...

Also much rather fit it to the angled cylinder of the Britannia, than cutting into the woodwork of the BSA - and I see what you mean John about thumb/web room.

Cheers
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Nice purchase, I spent ages looking for a No22 for my BSA then out of the blue I was offered a very tatty rifle by someone clearing their shed, The gun was too far gone to restore, The sight and stock however were fully repairable and now fitted to my CS, The No8 is without argument a much better engineered sight but as the CS has a pistol grip stock I felt it would look a little clunky,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more