Thread: Heavy gas ram

Heavy gas ram

It's dawned on me that I'm springer mad, but have never actually tried a gas ram rifle. There's only so much you can learn from reading the pro's and con's on the internet, so I think I need to live with one for a bit.
    What I want to know is, has anyone gone to the trouble of fitting a gas ram in a nice heavy target stock? And how did it work out?

I know most people like to tune springer internals to improve the shot cycle, and this can't be done on gas rams. However adding weight to my TX200 was the #1 thing that improved the shot cycle for me. I'm quite happy with a full weight 25mm piston etc in a heavy stock. So I want to try the same thing, ideally on one of the Diana N-tec rifles. But in reality on anything I can get within budget.

(see the wanted section if you have a gas ram you want to get rid of )

secretagentmole Guest
    Buy an HW90 for the Volvo of gas rams, or buy a Hatsan 60S Vortex.....

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, HW90, simples...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

My TX200 was 9lb standard, it's now 12.5 lb with scope
    HW90 is only 8.5 lb standard (according to my mate Google). I'd be looking at going to 12 or 13lb scoped with this one too.

I think my idea of heavy might different to other peoples.
    This will be for HFT only

you could always stick an HW98 barrel (or make up a heavy sleave) for the 90, and add some lead to the butt
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    you could always stick an HW98 barrel (or make up a heavy sleave) for the 90, and add some lead to the butt
    A full length 98 esque sleeve will add over 500g!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Pretty much exactly what is going to happen. I said 'target stock' because I'm aware a lot of people are a lot less bodge job than I am.
    The weight in my TX consists of lead in the butt (into drilled holes under the pad). Lead spacer on the rubber pad. Flashing tape under the forend, and a bodge sleeve on the barrel.

If I find a HW90 in 0.177 I would indeed use a hw98 sleeve. then maybe 500g of lead/flashing tape in front of the trigger, and another 500g lead in the butt. A a 550g scope on top

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Pretty much exactly what is going to happen. I said 'target stock' because I'm aware a lot of people are a lot less bodge job than I am.
    The weight in my TX consists of lead in the butt (into drilled holes under the pad). Lead spacer on the rubber pad. Flashing tape under the forend, and a bodge sleeve on the barrel.

If I find a HW90 in 0.177 I would indeed use a hw98 sleeve. then maybe 500g of lead/flashing tape in front of the trigger, and another 500g lead in the butt. A a 550g scope on top
    why not just cast a solid lead stock using the timber as a mould ?

why not just cast a solid lead stock using the timber as a mould ?
    I like a heavy rifle but I'm not the Hulk