Thread: Correcting pistol sight picture

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Correcting pistol sight picture

In the five years since I last shot pistol I think my eyesight may have gone downhill - I’ve had an eyesight test in that time and prescription in my weak (left) eye had got slightly worse, but right eye was the same

I’ve always used an opaque blinder (bit of plastic milk bottle tucked into a sweatband), but now at 10m the front and rear sight are a blur, and the target is in focus

Tried focusing on foresight as I bring pistol onto target, have tried dimming lights on target, and only difference I can otherwise attribute this change to is different light levels on firing point end

I’ve got an old pair of specs which I’ve blacked out the left lens, and ordered an iris (cheapy from China via that auction site) to stick on the right lens as a step towards reducing field of vision to sharpen focus.. could be a few weeks before that arrives, so any other pointers would be appreciated! Long term will consider a pukka pair of glasses, but that’s a lot of money to commit before trying all other options!

Ta

http://www.eyepalusa.com

Have a look at this website, then make yourself one like I did, using a piece of black electrical tape and a big sewing machine needle
    Donald

Iris I’ve gone for adjusts from 0.3mm to 16mm, I’ve got time on my hands before it arrives from China, so will experiment with tape on lens - another option is to increase lens strength, had read somewhere on internet (and now can’t find it again!) that an increase of 0.5 dioptre should be enough to bring sights into focus

Yes to focus on the front sight you need a +.50 dioptre added to your distance prescription. For older people +.75. (Stronger light requires a stronger lens.)

(I may have a pair of Varga shooting frame with 37 m lens holder going spare, not pristine but quite cheap.)
    Evo 10 Compact.

Thanks Silvershooter - I’ve been looking at Varga frames if I end up going down the ‘proper’ glasses route purely based on price, but even then getting a lens ground to the correct strength will still push the price up as it’s not the sort of thing Specsavers or the like will offer

Hi Aaron

I've had all my lens done at Specsavers (3 or 4). If you have a prescription with them ask them to add on .75 to your distance prescription, they will need a lens holder and preferably a sample lens of the same size.
    I think I paid about £35 each time for a lens with non reflective coating.
    Evo 10 Compact.