Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more monkey metal for me!

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Angry No more monkey metal for me!

I really try not to do very much with the guns these days, but somehow bits seem to keep landing here. Last year a non working Relum underlever pistol turned up-------- (dramatic pause) followed by lots more dead Relum pistols I think after about 10months, I eventually managed to get 3 working and hopefully the bits left over will have helped someone else sort out another.
    A couple of very poorly Webley pistols turned up and eventually got fixed. THEN --IT started----Broken G2's, Gats, a Mondial and G10's! The trouble is you cannot get the bits for these things. Somehow I managed to sort out a German G2 by using bits from a British one, got a G10 working after making a piston washer and got a Gat working after finding the barrel I had was tight and needed polishing out
    I still have 2 dead G2's on the table needing barrels----Another Gat and a G10 arrived in the week. I managed to get the gat working and found someone who wants one, but the G10 is a shell waiting for bits.

So please chaps-------NO MORE MONKEY METAL FOR ME! I want to try and make some flat bread and poppadoms on the table this year.
    Thank you
    Last edited by ggggr; 21-05-2018 at 07:31 AM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

If I didn't fix "monkey metal" (Zamak) pistols that would mean no more Umarex range. I have fixed G10's and I do not think they are worth the time and effort.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Amen, blued steel or brass, period. Pot metal is just not collectable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Amen, blued steel or brass, period. Pot metal is just not collectable to me.
    That would mean that serious collectors would not have the likes of the Crosman 600, 677, SA6, 451,Shiloh, Mark 1, Mark 11, 38C and T, M1 carbine, Smith and Wesson 78G 79G, Schimel, etc, etc etc. Would be very boring.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    That would mean that serious collectors would not have the likes of the Crosman 600, 677, SA6, 451,Shiloh, Mark 1, Mark 11, 38C and T, M1 carbine, Smith and Wesson 78G 79G, Schimel, etc, etc etc. Would be very boring.

Baz
    That’s right got none of them! Not bored yet! My only concession has been LP 58. Fwb 65

I would be.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    That’s right got none of them! Not bored yet! My only concession has been LP 58. Fwb 65
    You need to get some decent old American "pot metal" guns then, super performers and highly thought of and collected by thousands over here. Will still be around after the steel has rusted away. Future collectors will be collecting all the latest pistols 90% of which are made from zamak now.

Baz

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Relums aren’t monkey metal are they?....you still after some more of those if they come along then yeah?

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I've got a box on top of the wardrobe with 2 1/2 pistols in it! An Original Mod 6g and one and a half model 5's. I got them with every intention of doing them up, but frankly they just make me feel guilty when I remember them now.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Thumbs up

Hi

I got this Webley Stinger for a tenner at the local bootsale, The seller proclaimed that 'It needs a new spring'!!

In fact it was just drier than a Nuns chuff, A bit of a clean up and some Ballistol oil saw it shooting the steel BB's with some verve!!, It actually dented the steel of an old BSA target holder!!

Thinking back, It may actually be plastic although I thought it was monkey metal! (Not sure where it is to find out!)

I think the bottom is Mazak and the top plazzie!!

The dents!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Always wondered what the Stinger was like.
    Will look for one now.
    Probably be more than a tenner tho.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Always wondered what the Stinger was like.
    Will look for one now.
    Probably be more than a tenner tho.
    Watch out for the little seal on the loading gate thing. On the one I had, it had swollen up and the balls were tight going through it, which resulted in the dangerous thing of pulling the trigger and the ball coming out eventually after the pressure built up enough to gradually push the ball through the seal. I couldn't find an seal to fit so made one from leather then sized the hole so the ball could go through ok. After a couple of shots it was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

I got this Webley Stinger for a tenner at the local bootsale, The seller proclaimed that 'It needs a new spring'!!

In fact it was just drier than a Nuns chuff, A bit of a clean up and some Ballistol oil saw it shooting the steel BB's with some verve!!, It actually dented the steel of an old BSA target holder!!

Thinking back, It may actually be plastic although I thought it was monkey metal! (Not sure where it is to find out!)

I think the bottom is Mazak and the top plazzie!!

The dents!!

John
    They seem to defy the laws of physics. A bb hit the end of a tin can and come back twice as fast as it went down!
    I sent mine to Lawrie after I had a look at it and made up the seal for the gate.I didn't like the gun. I never stripped the trigger. I didn't fancy my chances of getting that housing apart and back together. I guess they never did spares for these?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Relums aren’t monkey metal are they?....you still after some more of those if they come along then yeah?
    Definitely not monkey metal, I have a few to renovate and they are totally rusted throughout. May put a pic of one on here before and after, it has been splashed with some kind of chemical.
    Here is the rusty Relum, one above seems to have been painted at some stage.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 26-05-2018 at 08:29 AM.

This thread got me thinking about one of the first letters I wrote to Airgun World...

in the late 70s or early 80s.In defence of the muck metal guns!
    https://imgur.com/gallery/jyLifQE
    What a boring activity collecting would have been-without the contribution of US and Eastern Block air and gas guns!

Nice one, I'd love my lounge decorated like that. Is that a 451 near the top left ?

[IMG][/IMG]