Thread: Hawke Scope Question?

Hawke Scope Question?

Hi all

I've recently bought a Hawke 2-7x32 scope for one of my air rifles and I have a question. Basically, I was just wondering If you have to centre the crosshairs yourself before zeroing the rifle with a Hawke or do Hawke usually do this back at the factory. The reason I'm asking Is because I've had scopes before that seemed to be pretty much centered once I checked the zero for the first time. As I've never bought a hawke before I'm just a bit curious,

Atb,

John
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

I've never done anything more than bolt them straight on & zero the rifle starting at about 10yds with an A4 size target.

If you want to count the clicks & centre it there's nothing stopping you, but there's no need or benefit to doing it, it will align with the barrel at the same point regardless.

From what I read somewhere, Hawke assemble their scopes pretty much mechanically centred but do not guarantee 100% perfect. As post above, if you want to do this yourself just adjust until you reach the stops, but don't apply any excessive force when you reach the stops, then go the other way while noting the number of "clicks" then come back half that number.

Thanks for the replys and Info lads,

John 👍
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Probably better for the scope to centre the ret by putting it in a V block and rotating the scope, sighting at a fixed object of known or set distance.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Probably better for the scope to centre the ret by putting it in a V block and rotating the scope, sighting at a fixed object of known or set distance.
    Please tell me the point in "centering the ret"

Once it's fitted to the rifle the adjustment to zero the POA to the POI will be what it will be, for that combination.
    I really cannot see what difference faffing about before fitting makes to matters

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Please tell me the point in "centering the ret"

Once it's fitted to the rifle the adjustment to zero the POA to the POI will be what it will be, for that combination.
    I really cannot see what difference faffing about before fitting makes to matters
    From my experience it just makes things easier as you are starting out from a reasonably fixed datum, at least windage should be there or thereabouts.

Also, I'm not one of those who starts out at 5yds, then 10yds, and so on. I like to start at my preffered range with a piece of A4 and then work towards centre.

And if that weren't enough. Yes, you could get zero'd without centreing but you could be on the stops because a duff set of mounts were giving you a false sense of alignment.

If you centre your crosshairs (I prefer the mirror method) then use adjustable mounts to zero your rifle, you will have the best possible chance of optic perfection. i.e. you will be looking 'straight' through the scope at your target. Absolute minimum parralex and absolute maximum light transmission.
    I don't Do It. I optically centre, then bung it on some sportsmatch mounts and zero it.. then again, I'm not striving for perfection
    Donald