Thread: TX200 corrosion below stock line.

TX200 corrosion below stock line.

Just bought a nice TX200, with almost new CS500 stock, all the visible bluing in very good condition.
    On removing the stock there is a thin strip where the stock meets, where the finish looks like its rubbed of, and marked corrosion and loss of finish near the end of the cylinder, even the back block securing nut seems to have lost its finish. It seem like everything that has some contact with the stock has been affected in some way, makes me wonder if there is some thing in the stock oil. Perhaps a more plausible explanation is that it was put away wet in a previous stock, but its a strange presentation.
    Im in two minds about returning it, but really all the visible parts are good, and has a WW kit, and Rowan trigger.
    Anyone else with something similar?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    There is something a miss, here, whether stock oil causing a reaction (?), damp being able to seep past the stock and puddle unseen, or just shoddy stock fitting when action is wet, either way, if it were me, it'd be on its way back for a full refund.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

On close examination it has to be a chemical reaction to something on the stock, its not straight forward corrosion caused by damp. It looks like the bluing has been removed, and its all metal to wood contact points. You would never know unless you whipped the stock off.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    On close examination it has to be a chemical reaction to something on the stock, its not straight forward corrosion caused by damp. It looks like the bluing has been removed, and its all metal to wood contact points. You would never know unless you whipped the stock off.
    I had a conversation recently with CS about oil for topping up the finish on a regular basis.
    I was informed NOT to use Danish oil on the inletting, only the outside of the stock.
    Maybe the previous owner wasn't aware of this and has oiled the inletting
    B.A.S.C. member

I used Ballistol and ACF50 on an AA s400 and found that excessive use ie leaving it on, without wiping it down afterwards, actually thinned the bluing considerably.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Hi pj,
    Hope all is well. Shame about the TX findings....

Although probably not related to your problem, I find the bluing weak or missing on the stock line of a lot of classics due to the rough finish of the internal of the stock, especially as the varnish solidifies the rough grain. I either use wire wool or fine sandpaper to take the roughness off. Surprising how rough the finish is when rubbing a finger on the internal stock.

All the best to all....

Abrasion due to being taken out of stock and replaced frequently?
    Or vibration due to being shot with loose stocks bolts?
    Just thoughts.

But my first thought was gun gets wet, rust forms where water collects in contact with metal, rust gets cleaned off. Rinse and repeat a few times.

Thanks for the all the replies. I think rather than a chemical reaction, Im currently more swayed towards a rubbing issue as suggested by Geoff.

I've seen tiny lines of bluing missing on guns with a tight stock fit. I have an aftermarket stock that had a slight warp to it. It touched right on the stock to action point and mad a thin line in the bluing. I scraped the stock down to relieve the contact. I also think it's possible for small amounts of dust/grit to collect in the area when wiping the gun down. Sort of gets pushed into the crack and makes an abrasive point.

Had a problem with a rifle with a lacquered finished stock,think it may have been cause by fitting the action too soon after spraying, not giving enough time for the spray thinners to completely evaporate and it had reacted with the bluing.

Danish

I have been finishing guns with Danish for yonks. Even and especially on the inletting to keep away damp.
    Never had a problem.
    Cant see ACF 50 damaging anything. It's been tested to within an inch of it's life so its safe to be sprayed inside aircraft wings on electronics plastic and any other materials in there.
    Ballistol perhaps not quite so safe. The German army did stop using it quite a while ago.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!