Thread: Using 77 or 95 spring in a 35

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Using 77 or 95 spring in a 35

Anyone sleeved the inside of a 35 piston to take a 77 or 95 spring? Perhaps a pointless mod which only adds to the weight of a heavy piston, but I have a lot of the latter in a box and only one 35 spring, was thinking maybe it would work better because of the narrow diameter. Although I cannot think why.

Hi Alistair, I have used the smaller diameter springs in both 80 & 35's with no problem. I don't sleeve the piston just use a top hat, the extra clearance afforded by the spring means that it doesn't contact with the inside of the piston.

Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Alistair, I have used the smaller diameter springs in both 80 & 35's with no problem. I don't sleeve the piston just use a top hat, the extra clearance afforded by the spring means that it doesn't contact with the inside of the piston.

Regards Max
    Simple as that then, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post

Regards Max
    And what was the verdict in terms of handling and performance?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    And what was the verdict in terms of handling and performance?
    Well, handling wasn't affected, power can be achieved easily with no twang just don't use too stiff of a spring. The standard HW ones are fine. I thought I had read somewhere that the new 80's came with the smaller springs in now anyway?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer