Thread: Tx200 .22 tune

Tx200 .22 tune

Hi guys what would you recommend for calming down the recoil and sight picture on my tx200 hc .22 either an AA skirtless piston or a tbt drop in kit comprising of Derin top hat spring guide short stroke head with new seal and the new spring to go with it? Any help would be great cheers Phil

Ive found the 22mm conversion by Mr Leach to be blooming loverly, nothing else Ive tried comes close, and Ive tried a lot and wasted money on bells and whistles, simply put the 22mm kit is AWESOME.

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by bionicactionman View Post
    Hi guys what would you recommend for calming down the recoil and sight picture on my tx200 hc .22 either an AA skirtless piston or a tbt drop in kit comprising of Derin top hat spring guide short stroke head with new seal and the new spring to go with it? Any help would be great cheers Phil
    You shouldn't be getting to much recoil on a .22 TX200, a springer will always have recoil of some sort regardless of tuning kit. I shoot one and the key is learning to shoot it correctly. You can strip, degreace and use one of the many kits avaliable and this will smooth things out but it's all about range time.
    Mine is completely standard and yesterday using AA Diablo pellets was gettting 10p size groups at 25yds and only got it the day before.
    Point to note, I found that the beech stocked TX absorb recoil better than walnut as its heavier.
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

I've tried a tbt kit and it smoothed the gun. However the 22mm conversion made it much better. It's dearer but we'll worth it.

Depends on your budget really. The TBT bits are great value and if you're trying to keep costs down then it's going to be the better option for you. If you want to go all the way then a 22mm powerplant from Tony Leach will be a good move. Bear in mind though that it will still recoil to some extent regardless of how much you spend on it.

A seemingly forgotten modification is the long latch rod.
    Shaun Hill (Spartan on here) can make these if you send him your old one to duplicate. They are silver steel with a hardened mushroom.
    I had a .22 txhc and I put on a +14mm latch rod. It made it lovely to shoot. Slightly more work than a piston nose extension, but rather than just reducing the swept volume, it also makes a little more room for spring, so you will lose some preload with the original spring. You may or may not have to make spring adjustments.
    I would definitely install a delrin guide and top hat no matter what modifications you make, and throw away the steel top hat.
    Basically, it's a can of worms, great fun worms!😂😂
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    You shouldn't be getting to much recoil on a .22 TX200, a springer will always have recoil of some sort regardless of tuning kit. I shoot one and the key is learning to shoot it correctly. You can strip, degreace and use one of the many kits avaliable and this will smooth things out but it's all about range time.
    Very good points made above.

As regards the tune....horses for courses and the World's your oyster. For some, a simple strip, polish and re-lube will be just fine and, if set up properly, the recoil on a TX is very low and manageable. And, as above, it's about spending time and getting to know one another.

I have shot some very nicely tuned small bore TXs at the Boinger Bash events. Almost all lovely to shoot with hardly any sight picture disturbance. Some exhibit beautiful shot cycles and cause wonderment to many who have a try. I haven't shot them intensively at different ranges and from different positions to be able to state if they will be better / easier or not. They might be; they might not. Many with guns converted such are rightly over the moon with them. Others just as happy with a more simple "tune", whilst others will be more than satisfied with the out of the box performance.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

What I do like about the TX is that its so easy to strip and do a simple degrease and re lube compared to HW models. Rember the TX piston has already been fitted with the delrin rings a modification which you would pay around £150 on other guns so its already tuned to the equivalent of a v glide.
    But although ive never short stroked I never hear negative reviews. You could try a titan xl spring these tend to be slightly stiffer and faster compared to the factory fitted. TX also tend to be under powered usually a titan spring will bring it up nearer to the legal limit sometimes just over so you will need to check.
    You may find it less hold sensitive if its firing cycle is faster.
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

One thing you could do is to obtain a Walther LGU piston.

Mick, T20, did this conversion. Fitting the LGU piston shortens the stroke and also gives you the option of fitting the HW seal, which many believe is a good thing on the TX.

If Uncle Mick looks in he might be able to put a link up?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Tx tune

Well thanks for all that lads definitely something to think on! Has any one tried the full pro tbt kit? With the guides'spring'piston extension ect on their TX? If so what's that like. Cheers Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by bionicactionman View Post
    Well thanks for all that lads definitely something to think on! Has any one tried the full pro tbt kit? With the guides'spring'piston extension ect on their TX? If so what's that like. Cheers Phil.
    I haven't tried this but can't see it being anything other than very nice; buying the spring with the guides custom fitted to it will result in a most pleasant cycle.

Did you look at the thread entitled "Operation TX"?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    A seemingly forgotten modification is the long latch rod.
    Shaun Hill (Spartan on here) can make these if you send him your old one to duplicate. They are silver steel with a hardened mushroom.
    He doesn;t even need the old rod to copy, unless it;s some VCR thing.

You are quite right, the increase in spring room from the longer rod makes a big difference, although I've always coupled this with replacing the spring with one similar to mk2 spec, and throwing away the heavy top hat.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    He doesn;t even need the old rod to copy, unless it;s some VCR thing.

You are quite right, the increase in spring room from the longer rod makes a big difference, although I've always coupled this with replacing the spring with one similar to mk2 spec, and throwing away the heavy top hat.
    I must have been his first then 😁.. I had a wee chat on the phone regarding my intentions and he asked me to send him the old one so he could duplicate the mushroom. That must have been about 4 or 5 years ago definitely before I had my boxford or I would have given it a go.
    Donald

He doesn’t need the rod, the dimensions are all in his head...

Or scrawled on the workshop wall somewhere
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation