Thread: Fixed barrel springers, will there ever be a better setup than the sliding breech

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Sliding breeches can crush digits, but break-barrels can smash teeth and noses. You pay your money and take your chances...

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Sliding breeches can crush digits, but break-barrels can smash teeth and noses. You pay your money and take your chances...
    I wonder what type of barrel on a break barrel would gnash teeth and noses better? Short and stumpy with a large diameter shroud / silencer or a long, slim item like the 35 Export?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I wonder what type of barrel on a break barrel would gnash teeth and noses better? Short and stumpy with a large diameter shroud / silencer or a long, slim item like the 35 Export?
    You'd be safe with the ultra long 35 export barrel as you'd smack the bloke next to you in the chops instead

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    You'd be safe with the ultra long 35 export barrel as you'd smack the bloke next to you in the chops instead

Pete
    Cool!

They think of every eventuality at HW HQ!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Cool!

They think of every eventuality at HW HQ!
    Just remember not to stand next to a 35 shooter at the next bash then.

You have been warned

Could be interesting if you get two 35 shooters next to each other, it could turn out like a Star Wars lightsaber fight

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Just remember not to stand next to a 35 shooter at the next bash then.

You have been warned

Pete
    Hee hee hee!

That might be bit tricky though, Pete. Everyone at The Bash loves a 35!

Hee hee hee!

That might be bit tricky though, Pete. Everyone at The Bash loves a 35!
    I'd better not go to any bashes then as I may upset everyone

Pete

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Short and stumpy, preferrably a gas-sham. The lack of mechanical advantage means the extra effort allows one to be hit in the face, break the stock AND possibly get your fingers/web of the hand pinched or crushed in the breech when it 'kangaroos' the unfortunate shooter. The scope should be destroyed when the brute hits the ground scope-down in accordance with Murphy's Law.

A HW35 Export with its nice long lever is perfectly controllable.

Hw35 barrel would smack you on the back of the head as it bends right round

Didn't Hitler's people dream one up like that that could shoot round corners?

Well, for a few shots anyway!

Yes

Krummlauf Curved Barrel on an StG-44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSsFiS2Voxg

The Krummlauf. Or, more correctly, the Vorsatz J (or I) and Vorstaz Pz. Originally a way (Pz = Panzer, 90 degree bend) of letting tank crews engage infantry without sticking their heads above the open hatch. Also developed (I or J, 30 degree bend) for infantry in trench or urban warfare.

Not sure it ever saw service. Never replicated by any other army. Which tells you something about its utility, 72 years later.

Back on topic. Tap-loader, anyone? Surely it's not just me?

Back on topic. Tap-loader, anyone? Surely it's not just me?
    Yep, it's just you.

Any system where the pellet isn't seated in the barrel = Pants.

And I'm including the Steyr 5 in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Yep, it's just you.

Any system where the pellet isn't seated in the barrel = Pants.

And I'm including the Steyr 5 in that.
    I have a couple of accurate pistols that are gate loaders, one of them like the Steyr, and also a Hammerli tap-loader rifle that was egregiously more accurate than the others of its time. I am going to test it with modern pellets once I have overhauled it and got the odd size scope mounts it needs from the post office, where I get most of my kit.

I also have an Original 50 which has been converted by an amateur to direct-breech loading, but it has been done rather imperfectly, giving 2 fpe which I do not think is an improvement on the original Original Diana power. I have yet to strip it to see how it has been achieved, I think it might have been by putting a huge lump of metal in front of the piston which slides back and forth. This combines a shorter stroke with a massively long transfer port.

Overall, I don't like non-direct-loading systems though, they are just not robust enough - how can it be consistent?