Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
Your Mod. 50 sounds like an interesting project, Ali.
I got it from Protek, they also had a Webley Mk III done by the same chap. I didn't really look at it properly before I got it, I was just amazed that someone had had a go at doing this. The guy was an engineer, but I don't think he knew a lot about spring rifles. The breech has a MASSIVE chamfer on it which must amount to a good bit of lost volume, although probably not as much as that in a tap. The other odd thing is there is a groove cut in the face of the sliding breech but it is too shallow to put anything in it to seal the breech. I will see how much 'meat' there is behind it and maybe deepen it or I might go the bodger's road and glue a ground-down 'O' ring in there. The power loss must be due to the breech seal, or more likely some kind of shit piston seal. The gun is very heavy to cock and the 2 foot-pounds is really a joke. I might keep it as it is if I can get some decent power out of it, otherwise I think I will break it for parts as its kind of dangerous, I will have to make up a block to put in the breech when loading as there ain't no safety and no anti-bear-trap, so its goodbye fingers if the trigger lets go.

An interesting attempt to recycle a taploader though.