Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
I have a couple of accurate pistols that are gate loaders, one of them like the Steyr, and also a Hammerli tap-loader rifle that was egregiously more accurate than the others of its time. I am going to test it with modern pellets once I have overhauled it and got the odd size scope mounts it needs from the post office, where I get most of my kit.

I also have an Original 50 which has been converted by an amateur to direct-breech loading, but it has been done rather imperfectly, giving 2 fpe which I do not think is an improvement on the original Original Diana power. I have yet to strip it to see how it has been achieved, I think it might have been by putting a huge lump of metal in front of the piston which slides back and forth. This combines a shorter stroke with a massively long transfer port.

Overall, I don't like non-direct-loading systems though, they are just not robust enough - how can it be consistent?
To be fair, I think Geezer is right about a well fitted and fettled loading tap being a wonderful thing... however, I've used a lot more bad ones than wonderfully good ones. And with modern production methods being what they are (more automation - less skilled human involvement), I wonder if a new tap-loader would be viable... is it possible with modern machinery/materials? Or is it just too tricky to get the thing perfectly sealed and aligned every time...?

Your Mod. 50 sounds like an interesting project, Ali.