I have an unexpected problem with my Original 45, as bought in the early '80s. These rifles, in my opinion, are the equal of the FWB. Firing it the other day, it accidentally discharged itself as I snapped the barrel back into position. This it continued to do consistently for several shots until I ceased. I am presuming that the small jolt from the barrel being placed back into the firing position (via the ball-bearing jumping the protruding catch to engage the barrel) caused the rifle to fire. However, I also noticed a failure of the safety catch to engage and the rifle seemed to discharge itself without restriction from the safety catch mechanism.

I have tried tightening (and loosening) the trigger screw situated immediately behind the trigger, by one complete revolution in each direction but to no effect.

Perhaps there is some wear after the usage which, perhaps, is around 5-10,000 shots, probably closer to 10k but difficult to estimate.

Earlier in the day, after the introduction of perhaps too much neatsfoot, a few days previously, there were some loud diesel cracks which, just possibly, might have accentuated an existing weakness.

Can anyone advise the problem and solution?

Many thanks.