Thread: What makes a "Good Scope Mount"?

C00LH4ND Guest

Question What makes a "Good Scope Mount"?

I have just purchased a 12 month old RWS 50 and have also acquired a Hawke Sidewinder scope. I am looking to use this combination for both FT and HFT using a single pellet tray for FT and moving to the mag for HFT.

With this in mind can anyone please advise what I should look for in my choice of mounts? (Asside from the fact they should fit the scope )??

Your advice is most welcome...

C00LH4ND

Why would you use the mag for hft

Jay

C00LH4ND Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jayboy
    Why would you use the mag for hft

Jay
    Cos I am new to HFT and have not got a clue???

wornspring Guest
    You will need high mounts if you use the mag. Better to use single shot tray for competitions and med mounts if the scope doesn't foul the barrel /action

BKL mounts will give enough clearance for the magazine and single shot tray, and are not as high as the more common Sportsmatch high mounts. Sportsmatch mediums are too low when using a sidewinder, and will foul the barrel. The BKL model 257 or 263 are the mounts that the rifle was designed to use.

Tony

As regards HFT in many places, magazine's have to be removed between each lane for safety so having a mag is a right PITA.

The Sidies are all x52 so I'd suggest you might need high mounts.

Um...see how you get on with the Sidewinder, for FT if it's got a high magnification that might suit as you'll be able to rangefind with the parallax.

But for HFT shoots, (well HFT shoots based upon the 'official' rules at least) as once you've taken your first shot you can't change the magnification/parallax(focus) of your scope, you may not find it that useful.

If you want to find out more about these 'official' rules the you might find this useful

Click me

They're the rules for the 2005 season Sparky, Lou, Nev et al will alomst certainly be tweaking them for next years season but it'll give you an idea.

C00LH4ND Guest
    Thank you to all who replied

And thanks for the HFT Rules link.. Really a very good approach to explaining the regulations of the sport....

One question it does leave me with though is... Is there a good allround scope that has the capabilities for both FT and HFT? I have seached the BBS but have struggled to find mention of a scope that can adequately cover both genres of the sport.....

Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 or 8-82 are the best all-rounders imho. If your not into hunting I'd go for the 8-32 version.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.