Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ace in the hole Colt

Ace in the hole Colt

Apparently Umarex have no plans to sell the Ace in UK at the present. Decided to do mod on gingernuts Colt Custom Shop model, which includes making the front sight. Going to thin it down and get a lost wax casting kit to make a few in metal, unless someone knows where you get the sight ?

Baz

https://i.imgur.com/tqgz79l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6i6uN0c.jpg
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 14-06-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

The Ace is a pellet firer with removable front sights and posh grips available in USA only.
    It is accurate.

UK custom shop model is bb with no front sight and accurate at 2 yards.

To be fair it is Sly’s backup Expendables revolver in UK mode.

Nice work.

I am not enthused by the "Ace in the Hole", with its hooky comp slots and fanning hammer.

Reminds me of that old Western show where the hero used a cut-down "pistol" Winchester 92, or the native American guy in "Predator" with a pump shotgun bolted to his M-16 (and a freak-off huge knife/machete/sword thing). Hollywood. Trying too hard.

I could get quite enthused by a proper Sheriff's or Storekeeper model. Ideally in nickel.

And, though they won't do it, a Bisley version, or an 1877 DA "Thunderer" would be nice (especially if the latter was more reliable than the original).

Or even an RIC Webley (they could make a Custer/Little Big Horn special for the cowboy lovers of "old yellowhair").

Each to his own. Here endeth my free advice to Umarex's marketing department. Which they'll ignore as usual. Probably rightly.

You can do mods to these revolvers. If I buy a Colt Custom Shop, I will reshape the hammer as I can re-black the zinc alloy. The comp slots will be filled by the front sight casting.

Baz

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

The Ace is a pellet firer with removable front sights and posh grips available in USA only.

It is accurate.
    I for one really want one — preferably in a deep blue livery with white pistol grips if such a beast exists? Love the quirky bobble-top cocking lever, too, as imo, it suits this stubby little pellet pistol perfectly.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I would like to fit some white grips too.

Baz

https://i.imgur.com/7HjdnqS.jpg

Umarex certainly is offering their SAA in seemingly endless finishes and configurations,which is great as for decades there was a much lamented gap in the market for a convincing Co2 replica of this iconic handgun.

I do hope,however ASG bring out an SAA in competition to the Umarex.So far their MK V1 Webley and Schofield seem slightly better constructed,thought out and more robust!

If ASG were to make an SAA to more robust standards than the Umarex version and with a removable cylinder I think it would be a big success!

ATB.

I think Umarex hold the Licence from Colt so that ain’t going to happen.

Bazs sight on my Custom shop looks cool.
    I need to do an accuracy test now.
    Which was a bit pointless before!

I am warming to my Crosman Sheridan since I realised that it actually prefers bbs and performs well with them.
    Makes sense for a Crosman.

I wonder if the Colt licensing pertains only to the name rather than the design?

I would imagine any patent of the original design expired decades ago?

Regardless,let's hope ASG or even Umarex are in licensing discussions with Ruger!

Oh! and let's hope a Co2 version of the Bisley appears,too!

ATB.
    Last edited by mrto; 14-06-2018 at 08:12 AM.

I guess name only as you say.
    So in theory we could have a Taiwan clone.

Fingers crossed we will see other western models from the more imaginative manufacturers.I like my Sheridan Cowboy very much,too,by the way,I use bb's exclusively in mine as well.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Looks like it been attacked by a LEGO facehugger alien...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Looks like it been attacked by a LEGO facehugger alien...
    Yes, be careful as I am churning them out in mass production now. Just love this little shorter Colt, think its one of the best versions.

Baz

https://i.imgur.com/gp0ujxE.jpg

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post

Yes, be careful as I am churning them out in mass production now. Just love this little shorter Colt, think its one of the best versions.

Baz

https://i.imgur.com/gp0ujxE.jpg
    Hi Baz,

I keep coming back to this thread again and again, and now that PellPax have the Custom Shop SAA in antique finish on an offer package, my return to this thread is becoming increasingly more regular (lol).

To this end, then, how much are you asking for one of these front sights, are they an interference fit, or do they need soldering to stay in position?

Also, do they come in an antique livery, or is that something the fitter needs to undertake once in situ, and if the latter, what is the best way to do this, please?

Many thanks : Gareth.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi Baz,

I keep coming back to this thread again and again, and now that PellPax have the Custom Shop SAA in antique finish on an offer package, my return to this thread is becoming increasingly more regular (lol).

To this end, then, how much are you asking for one of these front sights, are they an interference fit, or do they need soldering to stay in position?

Also, do they come in an antique livery, or is that something the fitter needs to undertake once in situ, and if the latter, what is the best way to do this, please?

Many thanks : Gareth.
    Sold my last one to a local RFD, was not planning to make any more as I am quite busy. I have a few rough castings I could finish off, they fit very well but I put a very small dab of contact adhesive on the base to anchor them. Been thinking of making one as per the factory design (see pic) but not sure if I like it. If I decide to make one would be about £15 posted. Painted satin black, and as the paint wears on the sharp edges they look quite good

Baz

https://i.imgur.com/gCkgTf5.jpg