Thread: Scope and eye relief problem.

Scope and eye relief problem.

I'm trying to fit my Swarovski Habicht 6 to 24 x 50 scope onto a rimfire Match Rifle but can't get the scope far enough forward to get the right eye relief, even using extended reach forward Sportsmatch Mounts. I don't know what figure Swarovski quote for the eye relief on this scope but following a rough measurement it seems to be 70mm or so. Is there a quality scope with a similar specification that's got shorter eye relief that would save my bacon ? Alternatively I could use a Bridge mount but it would have to be low rise and steel (dovetail length is only 40mm or so) so can anyone recommend a quality steel Bridge Mount that's worth considering.

I don't want to extend the stock as this would emphasise the forward CofG, and I'd like to do all I can to move the CofG backwards.

Thanks in advance for any input that helps solve my dilemma.

Vic Thompson.

Are you running out of forward travel because the occular section of the scope is coming up against the mount?

If so, have you thought about getting a second set of reach forward mounts and using the new extended part for the occular end so in effect you have two mounts both reaching forward. I had a similar problem with eye relief on my Lithgow LA101 / Sidewinder set up and that is what I had to do because there are only two Weaver anchor points.

Have a look at Kahles scopes expensive but very good.

Swaros are not, to my knowledge, known to have particularly long eye relief. 70mm-ish is about average for most conventional scopes by anyone (except Leupold, who typically run 90-105mm, or "about four inches" in old money). So you might find something that shaves literally a few millimetres off, but not much more than that.

Sportsmatch only reach forward 1" (25mm),

Hawke match mounts come in an extended 2" reach forward for both 25mm & 30mm scopes on dovetails or weaver rails.

My problem is that the dovetail section on the receiver forward of the loading port is only 1.5" long and of this I'm only using the last 1" anyway in an attempt to get the one piece mount as far forward as possible. The scope won't go further forward in the mount due to the Turret Block hitting the forward ring. If I can't get a short eye relief scope I'm thinking of using a steel raising block/dovetail extender (but haven't found one to date that will do the job), or alternatively using a one piece reach forward mount with closer together rings than the one that I've currently got that will fit on the rear section of the scope (ie, no ring either side of the Turret Block as is the norm).

Further suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.

A picture would of what you are trying to do would really help.

I've got piccies available if anyone could kindly host them for me.

Vic Thompson.