Thread: Talk to me about webley supertarget military contract rifles.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight

Talk to me about webley supertarget military contract rifles.

Seen one of these for sale. Compared to a supertarget, the price is considerable.

Apparently made for the navy, this has the normal peep sight, scope rail, pear shaped loading tap lever, front sight elements stored in a container in the pistol grip, tapered barrel and front mounted Parker hale swivel.

I can't find anything about this particular model. Condition is lovely and I would dearly like to purchase, just not sure about the price.

Any clues would be greater appreciated.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Is this a MK3 rather than an Osprey Supertarget, Dave?

I've not heard of a military version, although perhaps the Navy purchased them as 'club guns' for 10M target practice / comps?

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Looked like a mk3 to me Phil. Very much an underlever.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Dave

Have a look here:https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....mk3-air-rifle/

I'm no Webley Mk 3 expert but I have never heard of a Military sanctioned model 'Navy' or otherwise.

Webley expert along soon

Thanks Mark, was looking for that. It's a lovely rifle, but a significant premium over normal supertarget pricewise.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

No never heard of the MK3 being designated as military, The MK2 was hence the "service" tag , The MK3 supertarget is a nicely made rifle, usually in the region of £250 - £400 depending on condition, Mk2's can fetch very high prices dependent on calibre, condition, Cased, barrel set etc etc , I would look for more provenance of any military connections before spending higher amounts on a MK3, There are some serious collectors on here with far more knowledge than me that may be able to offer more info, I would love to see a pic if it does turn out to be the case .
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    No never heard of the MK3 being designated as military, The MK2 was hence the "service" tag , The MK3 supertarget is a nicely made rifle, usually in the region of £250 - £400 depending on condition, Mk2's can fetch very high prices dependent on calibre, condition, Cased, barrel set etc etc , I would look for more provenance of any military connections before spending higher amounts on a MK3, There are some serious collectors on here with far more knowledge than me that may be able to offer more info, I would love to see a pic if it does turn out to be the case .
    Does the MkII actually have any verifiable documented military usage though...?

I thought this was just wishful thinking - after all given the short length of most recruits training why on earth would anyone train them on anything other than their issued weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Looked like a mk3 to me Phil. Very much an underlever.

Dave
    I figured it was, Dave.

Interesting that from Mark's link above: The Supertarget with the front sight elements in the pistol grip, has the earlier cylinder without scope rail... while you say the gun you're looking at has the "elements" stock and the scope rail... Crossover model perhaps...? but I'd be a bit worried in case it's a mismatched action vs stock?

As said, Webley expert needed if you're thinking of paying strong money for it.

What makes the vendor think it’s a special military model?

What’s different about it..
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    What makes the vendor think it’s a special military model?

What’s different about it..
    Family history.

Dave
    Smell my cheese