Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk to me about webley supertarget military contract rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Family history.

Dave
    I'm pretty sure if it has a scope rail its a normal Mk3 with the optional parker hale sights rather than a supertarget

Lovely guns though, to make them at that quality today would be commercial suicide.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    May be a self-made (collected from sec hand parts) rifle
    Dont recollect any STs with scoperails. Only normal mk3s.
    I do think there were early ones without theST name on it?
    Army is only related to the Osprey ST. I think seller relates to this as both the mk3 and Osprey were both sold with 'normal' anschutz sight as well
    If not sure its a ST, I would buy it
    Do the serial numbers match on the metal and stock?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    No never heard of the MK3 being designated as military, The MK2 was hence the "service" tag , The MK3 supertarget is a nicely made rifle, usually in the region of £250 - £400 depending on condition, Mk2's can fetch very high prices dependent on calibre, condition, Cased, barrel set etc etc , I would look for more provenance of any military connections before spending higher amounts on a MK3, There are some serious collectors on here with far more knowledge than me that may be able to offer more info, I would love to see a pic if it does turn out to be the case .
    Does the MkII actually have any verifiable documented military usage though...?

I thought this was just wishful thinking - after all given the short length of most recruits training why on earth would anyone train them on anything other than their issued weapon?

Does this rifle have the normal Mk.111 rear sight, or the dovetails for the fitting of such, as well as the dioptre sight, and is this a Parker hale 17b or 16m ?

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Does this rifle have the normal Mk.111 rear sight, or the dovetails for the fitting of such, as well as the dioptre sight, and is this a Parker hale 17b or 16m ?
    I'm now in Spain, so unable to view the gun for a couple of weeks.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

[QUOTE=harvey_s;7501244]Does the MkII actually have any verifiable documented military usage though...?/QUOTE]

Not according to Thrale. The earlier Mk1 was offered to, and tested by, the military as a possible trainer, but not adopted.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    There is no way either the Webley Service Mk II or the Mk III would have been bought as trainers by the military. Even with the cheaper ammo they would be far too expensive for recruits to practice with, and too dissimilar to the service rifles. Maybe Armed Forces target shooters might have bought them for their club use, but I really doubt they would have been used for practice. A Webley Service Mk II cost about £500 in real terms at the end of the 1930s. The SMLE in .22 rimfire would be far cheaper.

http://rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle...RF_Mk.III.html
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 23-05-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    There was the SMLE in .22 rimfire for that.

http://rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle...RF_Mk.III.html
    I just bought one of those
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    If anyone wants a squint it's in youngmans in Yarmouth.

Ring and check first though.

Dave
    Smell my cheese