Thread: Webley Longbow .... Click on cocking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Webley Longbow .... Click on cocking

Hi Folks,

Have a mint Brumbow and she works A1 apart from a click when cocking.

Seems to emanate from the cocking key at around 25% of the cocking stroke....anyone experience / managed to cure this ?

I have not delved as yet as it clearly isn't damaging the rifle, just a mild irritation on a super little rifle.

Mine did the same, not sure why though.
    Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

"Did".....I presume you no longer have the problem / rifle ?

It seems that the adjusting angle of the cocking lever and the cocking key are to play...it seems to reach a point then click for no obvious....wonder if there is a cure ?

No Boffins throwing any hats in ?

Yes; a common problem since the cocking slot in the piston is a tad too deep. Initially the "mushroom" foot on the cocking lever contacts the end of the slot nearer the top (angle of lever!) and tries to stay in this position due to the loaded friction between the mushroom and the end of the slot. Once the load increases, it breaks free and the mushroom smacks the bottom of the slot creating the "click"!

A solution I have used with quite a few BrumBows is to fabricate a spacer "button" from Delrin which is inseted over the mushroom and ends up in between th cylinder and the cocking shoe effectively reducing the movement and eliminating the smack! I think I re-invented this some while after Venom/V-Mach as I found out later, so don't claim originality!

I attach a sketch of the details I use successfully if it is of any help! I am a BrumBowholic (had twelve at one one time)!

http://freepdfhosting.com/6e2d867369.pdf

atvb
    David
    Last edited by TopDog; 24-05-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Thanks Topdog....pity a slide couldn't have been developed that had a bit more of a bearing surface area than the mushroom...Fabulous rifles apart from that, and it is a minor irritation. Best Webley ever made in my opinion having owned an Omega also, the Longbow was a real gem.