Thread: Archery Club

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Archery Club

On part of my permission there is a rimfire target club, they also do archery, an arrow left their range, and landed in the horses field that I shoot rabbits on, luckily they didn't hit a horse or me, but they seem to think that as they have insurance, that until someone is either hurt or maybe killed, it's not really a problem, as far as I'm concerned it's irresponsible and illegal, it's a wonder that nobody was actually hurt, any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Rog

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rog5 View Post
    On part of my permission there is a rimfire target club, they also do archery, an arrow left their range, and landed in the horses field that I shoot rabbits on, luckily they didn't hit a horse or me, but they seem to think that as they have insurance, that until someone is either hurt or maybe killed, it's not really a problem, as far as I'm concerned it's irresponsible and illegal, it's a wonder that nobody was actually hurt, any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Rog
    I'm guessing that because it's not a gun it might be treated like golf balls going on other people's property, but if it was plastic pellet from a gat it would be a firearm offence

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    A strongly worded letter to the club from the landowner where the arrow landed with the implied threat of legal/ police action should solve the problem. That should focus their mind.

Club

Not disbelieving you but I find it very difficult to believe that they would display such an attitude, did an official of the club say this to you verbally?
    If they shoot rimfire they will be a Home Office approved club, whatever other activities they carry out their approval could be removed for wreckless endangerment!

Quote Originally Posted by Spray1Mark View Post
    Not disbelieving you but I find it very difficult to believe that they would display such an attitude, did an official of the club say this to you verbally?
    If they shoot rimfire they will be a Home Office approved club, whatever other activities they carry out their approval could be removed for wreckless endangerment!
    I received email from Chair/sec of the club, it says, l am fully aware of potential consequences of stray projectiles, and the club carries insurances to cover losses and protect third parties affected. So that's ok then?! Rog

If it is a NDA range then no projectiles should leave the range.the email should have been worded differently and given assurance that they would work towards ensuring that this should/ could not happen again. However, it may not be clubs fault that the arrow was found where it was. Did anyone see the arrow leave the range??? There are a lot of devious bastids about!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Club

If that is indeed as stated with nothing to say that they have put measures in place to assure it never happens again? then personally I would take that to the authorities.

If they are shooting .22RF there as you say then the attitude must be that a bullet is never able to leave the boundary regardless of a negligent discharge or other event, this mentality must be applied to any projectile leaving the boundary or else the attitude towards safety is negligent at best!

I received email from Chair/sec of the club, it says, l am fully aware of potential consequences of stray projectiles, and the club carries insurances to cover losses and protect third parties affected. So that's ok then?! Rog
    With respect, as you are not the owner of the land, the club probably had no legal requirement to reply to you at all.

In legal terms had the email included an apology, that apology would constitute an acceptance of blame for stray "projectiles" which could be used in any future insurance claim.

They have stated they realise the potential consequence, which is as close to "Oops sorry" as you're going to get, & have also stated that they have insurance to cover any loss/damage/injury, so I'm not sure what more you expected

No he is not saying that. There are two.possible scenarios from an arrow overshoot. One is it hits something with a pulse or it buries into the ground and someone walks into it. The arse end of a buried arrow is just as nasty as the front albeit velocity and mass are from an opposing direction

He is correctly saying that in the event of an accident...they have the financial backing of an insurer to meet the worst case scenario.

It isnt a cavalier statement. Its an accurate one.

The NGB has strict rules in place to MINIMISE the potential for an incident. It does not eliminate in exactly the same way as my rifle clubs faces.

It would not be inappropriate for the club to identify what went wrong and how to minimise.....theres that word again....the possibility of it happening again.

We all take risks where its with a rifle or a bow or driving or going for a walk.

Assessing....minimising...learning from history...predicting possible scenarios will only take you so far.

If you have passaged through life without a single incident that could have serious implications then you are a rare animal indeed.

If you pissed off then write tonthe NGB - they will be on it like a car bonnet. That assumes The current NGB archery UK isnt the same bunch of idiots that GNAS used to be oor many other sports NGBs from where I sit
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill