Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archery Club

Quote Originally Posted by Rog5 View Post
    Point not missed, but I haven't explained myself properly, after the arrow arrived in my permission, a woman from the archery club turned up to collect it, seemingly oblivious of the legalitys of the situation a bit like the kid next door asking for his ball back, again, I'm sure if they could have located the arrow, and not been seen by anyone they would have, but unfortunately, they weren't that lucky, and that's probably the reason for my email being replied to, hope that explains it better. Rog
    Can I ask what it is you're expecting ?

As I said above the club are not going to accept blame/fault in case it comes back to bite them, I would have expected the individual to apologise when they came looking because that's good manners.

Also try as I might I cannot find anything that actually says it's illegal Airgun pellets are a specific offence but I know it doesn't apply to shotgun pellets for example but I can't find any reference to arrows.

Plus if the field where it landed is owned by the same person as the range then while it might have left the range area it hasn't actually left the "property" in which case the only person you could complain to would be the land owner who may or may not care (they might even be one of the archers)
    Last edited by angrybear; 24-05-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Can I ask what it is you're expecting ?

As I said above the club are not going to accept blame/fault in case it comes back to bite them, I would have expected the individual to apologise when they came looking because that's good manners.

Also try as I might I cannot find anything that actually says it's illegal Airgun pellets are a specific offence but I know it doesn't apply to shotgun pellets for example but I can't find any reference to arrows.

Plus if the field where it landed is owned by the same person as the range then while it might have left the range area it hasn't actually left the "property" in which case the only person you could complain to would be the land owner who may or may not care (they might even be one of the archers)
    its not illegal by British law if an arrow lands next to when there is an archery club next door to your permission! it is illegal if it was intended to hit you and it is also illegal to hunt in the uk with arrows or bolts. angrybear has a very good point in asking what your expecting out of this
    Last edited by Hawkeye20; 24-05-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Am not really sure, so what would be the outcome if a horse, or the tenant or her children were to be accidentally injured, would that just be hard luck, are we just waiting for an accident to happen before something could be done about it, I have sent an email to The Bowmen of Harrow to try and shed some light on this, the only thing I have found says, no arrow should leave your land, and your activity should not cause any distress to neighbors or passing public, I await email from the B of H. Rog

Am not really sure, so what would be the outcome if a horse, or the tenant or her children were to be accidentally injured, would that just be hard luck, are we just waiting for an accident to happen before something could be done about it, I have sent an email to The Bowmen of Harrow to try and shed some light on this, the only thing I have found says, no arrow should leave your land, and your activity should not cause any distress to neighbors or passing public, I await email from the B of H. Rog
    Well that's more than I found, but I'll ask again is that a legal document making it UK law, or is it just a safety rule from Archery GB or some other sporting body ?

Don't get me wrong in playing devils advocate, I'd be 'kin livid if I was the neighbour, but you need to know what it is you expect from your complaint and also more importantly you need to know that you are correct.

In the OP you said "as far as you're concerned it's illegal", but is it ? if you stated that in your email & the club Sec knows that actually it isn't "illegal" because it's not covered by law, then you're on a hiding to nothing,

As for the outcome if someone or something were hit, that would possibly be criminal negligence maybe even assault with a deadly weapon, or criminal damage in the case of livestock.

Sorry to bore everyone with this, but I have an inquisitive mind, and I would like to think that as I lay in the horse shit with an arrow sticking out of me, that at least I now know the legalitys. Rog

Sorry to bore everyone with this, but I have an inquisitive mind, and I would like to think that as I lay in the horse shit with an arrow sticking out of me, that at least I now know the legalitys. Rog
    Regardless of any "Law" the person who shot the arrow would be legally liable for any damage or injury.
    One option you have is to report the matter to the police & ask for a log number so that the incident is officially recorded, & inform the club of it, that way should something nasty happen in the future they can't claim it's never happened before

You might also want to think about who's side the landowner is likely to take if the club pay rent (or the owner is an active member) it might be you who gets told to go for stirring things up.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Regardless of any "Law" the person who shot the arrow would be legally liable for any damage or injury.
    One option you have is to report the matter to the police & ask for a log number so that the incident is officially recorded, & inform the club of it, that way should something nasty happen in the future they can't claim it's never happened before

You might also want to think about who's side the landowner is likely to take if the club pay rent (or the owner is an active member) it might be you who gets told to go for stirring things up.
    Point taken, thanks Mr Angry. Rog

I received email from Chair/sec of the club, it says, l am fully aware of potential consequences of stray projectiles, and the club carries insurances to cover losses and protect third parties affected. So that's ok then?! Rog
    No he is not saying that. There are two.possible scenarios from an arrow overshoot. One is it hits something with a pulse or it buries into the ground and someone walks into it. The arse end of a buried arrow is just as nasty as the front albeit velocity and mass are from an opposing direction

He is correctly saying that in the event of an accident...they have the financial backing of an insurer to meet the worst case scenario.

It isnt a cavalier statement. Its an accurate one.

The NGB has strict rules in place to MINIMISE the potential for an incident. It does not eliminate in exactly the same way as my rifle clubs faces.

It would not be inappropriate for the club to identify what went wrong and how to minimise.....theres that word again....the possibility of it happening again.

We all take risks where its with a rifle or a bow or driving or going for a walk.

Assessing....minimising...learning from history...predicting possible scenarios will only take you so far.

If you have passaged through life without a single incident that could have serious implications then you are a rare animal indeed.

If you pissed off then write tonthe NGB - they will be on it like a car bonnet. That assumes The current NGB archery UK isnt the same bunch of idiots that GNAS used to be oor many other sports NGBs from where I sit
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill