Thread: Fishery vermin control question

Fishery vermin control question

Hi Gang,
    One of the club lakes I fish at has a rat problem which I have offered to assist with. I am checking whether the club lease or own the lake but does this affect who I need permission from? If it is leased will I need the placeholders permission too?
    You thoughts would be appreciated.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Your permission Rich would be from who ever the legal owner is, i have large fishery
    shoot just behind my house but its part of the 2,000 acre farm i shoot on.
    atb brian

ask

hi, if its leased it's usually written in the contract. if it was me I would ask for a letter authorisation from the lease holder or owner stating who and method of vermin control after finding out who is responsible for the duty of vermin control . a call to local police as to what will be going on times in and out etc wouldn't go amiss either.

This is an area that has previously crossed my mind.

Open land will have "Sporting Rights" ( ie hunting, shooting, fishing) which may or may not be included in any sale or lease of the property, or may be leased off separately, which is why the "Owners permission" is needed for general shooting.

But pure "Vermin Control" could easily be classed as part of the "everyday operation of the business", which would surely be down to the operator , after all would you need to get "owners permission" to put down poison or traps ? so why would it be needed to kill the same vermin with an airgun ?

In this case I would think the club would be holding the full "sporting rights" on the land in order to run the fishing & I'd expect that as a result they would also be able to grant shooting, but of course it's possible the fishing has been separated from any shooting, but the "vermin" side should be covered.
    Last edited by angrybear; 24-05-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Your comments are cementing my unspoken view that I need details of the lease to see whose permission I need.
    Cheers.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)