Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What model is this Diana?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I borrowed one when i was a youngsterand it was complete crap compared to my Dad's BSA Meteor. You really had to be taken in by the 'two springs, so its like it's cocked twice, innit?' and the general size and fearsomeness of the gun, plus the poor mechanical advantage that made it feel like it had a really strong set of springs and then the vibratory discharge making you think it was paaaarful..... But where the Meteor would shatter pellets to tiny fragments at 20 yards, the Tornado just kind of squashed them, and was about as accurate as a Webley pistol.

Thanks for all you help. Quickly decided to stay with collecting better brands. I see a BSA light or Webley Mark 3 in my future.

I've only had one Relum Tornado which I bought knowing it needed work doing to it. The old thread of what I did to it & the advice I got might still be on here. It needed the barrel fixing back in, the piston was tight in the cylinder, not the piston seal but the outer diameter was too great for th internal diameter of the cylinder. I dumped the small inner spring & it seemed to make little difference to the power but it smoothed up the cocking action. Just don't understand the two spring set up, .... very simple mechanisms, weak in some areas though. Wouldn't say you can't improve them with work but in my experience it's a lot of work & effort. A bit of fun if you've got the time & aren't expecting wonders at the end. Ive not used mine since I came to the conclusion I'd gone about as far with tinkering with it as I wanted & more tinkering wasn't giving any noticeable improvements. Glad I had a Meteor as a lad.

I think the classic 70s/80s tune for these was to bin the twin springs and use one from an Airsporter. Is that right?

I think that Meteor spring is the one to try. There's a fair number of posts in the thread I mentioned started in June 2017, but I stuck with the original large diameter spring. Quite a bit of info & advice from several forum members, some of them very familiar with the Tornado. I was fairly happy with the way my one turned out but even happier it wasn't my only air rifle.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I think the classic 70s/80s tune for these was to bin the twin springs and use one from an Airsporter. Is that right?
    Meteor spring from a good aftermarket source, and a 'floating' spring guide made from a shower-rail was the BTDT treatment for Relums.

Diana

Hi this most definitely a Relum Tornado and not a Diana, also not a ''small'' rifle; not sure where the confusion came from unless the scope is marked Diana, in the 70's you could have a scope with your name on it if you ordered enough of them, so W & S; BSA; ASI; Milbro; Relum and others I can't recall all had the same scope with their own name on it.
    Hope this solves the problem
    Cheers
    abellringer