Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TX200 piston seal lost volume

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hope all went well today, Dan.

How was the event? Brilliant I guess?

What rifles were most abundant?

And did you manage to spend some time with The Lord of The Springs?
    You guessed right, really good shoot today! The whole Nomads team really went out of their way to make it as good as possible.
    It sounds like there's a chance of it becoming a regular (annual) event which would be brilliant.
    The course had everything I would want in the way of targets. Some at the slightly easier end (unless you take them for granted) and some real challenging shots that caught a lot of people out. One for example was plated by the top 3 shots of the day. I reckon a good PCP shooter would get maybe 56 or 57.

I've only been shooting HFT for a year so I couldn't tell you what the 'old days' were like, but the feel of this event was a bit like how I imagine it was back when HFT started. Everyone shooting springers at all different abilities, but united in the banter and atmosphere. It felt almost 'grass roots' without seeing £2k PCP setups all over the place, but in a good way. And there was nothing grass roots about the shooting. Steve Whiting came out top (almost predictable with his current form) but only after a shoot off with Mick Fern. Gary Chillingworth in 3rd. Your's truly a point behind in 4th (lane 7 is haunting me now )

As expected it was dominated by HW77/97 and TX200's. But they didn't all look the same. I saw every possible stock and action option, and then a good range of custom stocks and slightly bodged stocks (like mine ). So a good variety.
    I think I also saw a Prosport,HW98, HW95 with a 98 barrel on, LGV, LGU and I think some hero with an open sights HW99.

I stayed behind for a few hours after the shoot so I did see him for a bit, but we kept the technical talk to agreeing that I never should have moved away from the 84mm piston in the first place

Thoroughly recommended to anyone with an interest in HFT, regardless of experience. Next year will be even bigger and better hopefully

Absolutely brilliant Dan, and very well done.

After reading this post I'm more than a little enthused and positively buzzing about visiting Nomads. If there's a repeat event next year, I'll make sure to make it happen, but hope to visit well before then.

I won't do very well but, well, it's the taking part that counts, in'it? And soaking up that wonderful atmosphere and banter shared by like-minded folk.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Absolutely brilliant Dan, and very well done.

After reading this post I'm more than a little enthused and positively buzzing about visiting Nomads. If there's a repeat event next year, I'll make sure to make it happen, but hope to visit well before then.

I won't do very well but, well, it's the taking part that counts, in'it? And soaking up that wonderful atmosphere and banter shared by like-minded folk.
    Are you on the other forum (AGF). Am I allowed to say that or I will I get done for treason
    They have a meet at Nomads in August. I've not been before but will try to go this year. Basically a load of people off the forum, many who haven't shot HFT before and some regulars on the scene, meet up and there's all kinds of shooting going on. Including a full UKAHFT rules course. BBQ, camping etc.

At the end of the day the number on your score card can be forgotten regardless of how low or high it is. It's much harder to forget the characters you will meet on the way That's what keeps us all going back

Dan, have you tried a simple LGU piston swap? I have 1 that's about 195 grams, with the seal, and the comp. tube nut has been shaved 3 mm. I think that gives me around 81 mm stroke. I run a delrin top hat and about 30-40 mm of preload. It feels almost exactly the same as a stock MarkI, but just a tiny bit better. I need to try a different spring with less pre-load, but this is the JM spring I have for now.

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    Dan, have you tried a simple LGU piston swap? I have 1 that's about 195 grams, with the seal, and the comp. tube nut has been shaved 3 mm. I think that gives me around 81 mm stroke. I run a delrin top hat and about 30-40 mm of preload. It feels almost exactly the same as a stock MarkI, but just a tiny bit better. I need to try a different spring with less pre-load, but this is the JM spring I have for now.
    Please don't encourage Dan to open up his TX again; it's not broken (as witnessed by his superb score yesterday) and does not need fixing.

For anyone interested, the shoot report is here.
    Last edited by BTDT; 28-05-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    84mm stroke is perfect with standard TP. I reduce the Tp to 3.5mm x 7mm (like a hw77) which alows you to go going shorter, but these days I've pretty much settled on 83mm (as per the mk1/2), job done.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Are you on the other forum (AGF). Am I allowed to say that or I will I get done for treason
    They have a meet at Nomads in August. I've not been before but will try to go this year. Basically a load of people off the forum, many who haven't shot HFT before and some regulars on the scene, meet up and there's all kinds of shooting going on. Including a full UKAHFT rules course. BBQ, camping etc.

At the end of the day the number on your score card can be forgotten regardless of how low or high it is. It's much harder to forget the characters you will meet on the way That's what keeps us all going back
    Hi Dan,

Nope, I'm not on the other forum. But that type of meet sounds awesome. I've visited Lincs HFT a couple of times, but not shot competitively.

We'll see what pertains as Uncle Mick of Boinger Bash fame has also indicated that he's hosting a meet at Quigley Hollow on the August Bank Holiday weekend and getting the time off and getting my pass stamped can be issues.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Please don't encourage Dan to open up his TX again; it's not broken (as witnessed by his superb score yesterday) and does not need fixing.

Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

I actually opened it up again as soon as I got home......but only to make sure no water had got in on those last couple of lanes (it had!)

A couple of us went round after the shoot and re-shot the targets we missed (except the positionals). Of the ones I missed, I knocked them all over first shot. I think I needed that confirmation to really drive home that this TX is not only very accurate, but also easy to shoot well as long as I'm relaxed and thinking about the targets with a clear head.
    In terms of improving my score, I think tinkering with the rifle is at the 'high risk-low reward' end of the scale so I'm going to try and claw myself out of this rabbit hole and jump down another one instead. Why does 1 of my BSA airsporters shoot so much nicer than the other 4.....

No problem at all Dan.

It's just the slagging off of other forums, their members and their volunteer admin teams that we won't tolerate as we consider it to be a bit childish and counter productive to the shooting community.

All the best Mick

I actually opened it up again as soon as I got home......but only to make sure no water had got in on those last couple of lanes (it had!)

A couple of us went round after the shoot and re-shot the targets we missed (except the positionals). Of the ones I missed, I knocked them all over first shot. I think I needed that confirmation to really drive home that this TX is not only very accurate, but also easy to shoot well as long as I'm relaxed and thinking about the targets with a clear head.
    In terms of improving my score, I think tinkering with the rifle is at the 'high risk-low reward' end of the scale so I'm going to try and claw myself out of this rabbit hole and jump down another one instead. Why does 1 of my BSA airsporters shoot so much nicer than the other 4.....
    I've almost cured myself of the open it up every day sickness. I've dropped the very same LGU piston set up into 4 TX's, so far. All 4 feel a bit different and the velocities are pretty far apart on a couple. I have to conclude it's down to the barrel. I have left it in the gun it feels best in and am trying to resist changing it again. Very hard when the TX is so easy to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    I've almost cured myself of the open it up every day sickness. I've dropped the very same LGU piston set up into 4 TX's, so far. All 4 feel a bit different and the velocities are pretty far apart on a couple. I have to conclude it's down to the barrel. I have left it in the gun it feels best in and am trying to resist changing it again. Very hard when the TX is so easy to work on.
    Yes they are so easy to work on! When I get in from shooting in the rain I can strip and dry everything before my cup of tea has finished brewing. I've got these Airsporters to look at, and I'm working on rust blacking as well, so hopefully they can keep me occupied and remove temptation from the TX....

If at all possible, Dan, you really ought to get yourself to a Boinger Bash.

Nice and local for you (about twenty minutes steady drive?) and the next one takes place in just 19 sleeps' time.

Brilliant, informal atmosphere. And much knowledge, wisdom and enthusiasm on all things boingery - new, tuning, renovating the oldies etc etc.

I promise you'd love it and it'd be great to meet you.

If at all possible, Dan, you really ought to get yourself to a Boinger Bash.

Nice and local for you (about twenty minutes steady drive?) and the next one takes place in just 19 sleeps' time.

Brilliant, informal atmosphere. And much knowledge, wisdom and enthusiasm on all things boingery - new, tuning, renovating the oldies etc etc.

I promise you'd love it and it'd be great to meet you.
    I've wanted to come to a couple now and every time I'm either on holiday or away shooting somewhere
    It will happen eventually!