Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant zero in ?

Cant zero in ?

Just put what look like medium size 2 piece mounts on my 99s,dont know make of mounts there double alan key that clamp onto the gun and 4 alan key screws that clamp scope.the front on the scope is touching the gun,now then when i try n scope in its way to low the up/down turret is turned all way up and its still 2-3 inches to low,ive tried winding all way down to low then turning up to all way up but nope still to lo.any ideas please ?? Im sure its mount issue but id thought id ask here first.cheers lads

First thing is that the scope/objective shouldn't be touching the gun, so you'll need high mounts.

It sounds like you have run out of elevation, try different mounts and if this problem persists you should pack the rear mount or get an adjustable mount.

So you tightened all the screws up with the objective of the scope pressing on metal? you will be lucky not to have bent it!
    Yes you need higher mounts!

Pack out the rear mount mate. A couple of layers of electricians tape in the bottom cradle of the rear mount should sort it. Hope that helps

Because the scope objective is touching the rifle it's possible that it's physically holding the front of the scope at a raised angle to the barrel which would obviously lift the POA.

Regardless of that you need higher mounts to lift the objective, or a scope with a smaller diameter objective, take it off immediately because the longer it's on the more likely it will damage the blueing where it's rubbing.

youl be lucky you havent buggered your scope due to it touching the action and tightening it up. if i was you just go to your local gun shop and get yourself some higher mounts, you can pack out the front mount but its just one big headache if you dont know what you are doing

Ive just bought medium 1 piece mount off ,see how that goes,i did read some where scope has to be close to gun as possible also read high mounts not what you want,dunno about that low medium high whats dofference aslong as you can zero who cares ?.

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    Ive just bought medium 1 piece mount off ,see how that goes,i did read some where scope has to be close to gun as possible also read high mounts not what you want,dunno about that low medium high whats dofference aslong as you can zero who cares ?.
    I have to say it before someone else does, obviously you don't, it all comes down to the size of the objective, normally within reason, up to 32mm low, up to 44mm med anything over that high mounts. Rog

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    Pack out the rear mount mate. A couple of layers of electricians tape in the bottom cradle of the rear mount should sort it. Hope that helps
    Packing the rear mount with front end of the scope touching the rifle will bend the scope body when he tightens the rear mounts bolts down.

Taken off the JSR site …. hope this helps

Medium mounts 1" tube:
    Front Lens Size: Up to 45mm - This figure describes the maximum size of the objective (front) lens the mount is designed for when the dovetails are flush with the barrel. Please bear in mind scopes with front PX adjustment will often need higher mounts.

Low mounts 1" tube
    Front Lens Size: Up to 32mm - This figure describes the maximum size of the objective (front) lens the mount is designed for when the dovetails are flush with the barrel. Please bear in mind scopes with front PX adjustment will often need higher mounts.

High Mounts 1" tube
    Front Lens Size: Up to 56mm - This figure describes the maximum size of the objective (front) lens the mount is designed for when the dovetails are flush with the barrel. Please bear in mind scopes with front PX adjustment will often need higher mounts.

Ive just bought medium 1 piece mount
    Quote Originally Posted by Rog5 View Post
    it all comes down to the size of the objective

It "almost" all comes down to the size of the objective, but it's not the only thing which can foul. I had a 52mm Redfield, went to put it in a medium one piece mount but the part around the turrets (is it called the saddle?) would have been crushed by the mount if I'd tightened it, machined 1mm off the top of the mount to make it fit.

From experience of two of the main mount makers:

Hawke medium mounts up to 40mm with PA. Although a 44mm with no PA can fit.

Sportsmatch medium mounts up to 44mm with PA. Although a 50mm with no PA can fit.

The mounts aren't something to be skimped on.

The difference as you are now finding out is that you can't zero if your scope is fouling.

The difference between low mounts & high is that your line of sight will cross the projectile trajectory at slightly more of an angle so there will be fractionally more error if your range finding is out,
    but that's utterly irrelevant compared to not being able to zero.

There are no if's, but's or maybe's, if your scope is fouling then it's mounted wrong, you want a good 3-5mm gap between objective & barrel.

Ok lads thanks for the help and advice im sure the mount ive ordered will fit ok.thanks again.

scope height

TOTALY WRONG your eye must be able to see through the centre of the scope, nearer the barrel is the ideal but alignment of your eye to the axis of the scope is vital for accurate shooting.
    mk2 rapid.22