Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: . 177 zero range

. 177 zero range

Hi all. Always used. 22 but just bought a brocock contour s6. 177 any tips or advice on zero range. Research found 35 yrd but others say different. Any views and why. Tia.

It depends on the height of the scope mounts as ideally you want the zero range to be the top of the velocity arc.

Try 25 to 30 yards to start with and if you are just using the reticule to compensate for different ranges (as opposed to dailing) then for all ranges up to and beyond you zero range, the pellet should impact below the horizontal cross hair.

As per above, much depends on the height of the mounts.

Also the muzzle velocity, pellets used and intended purpose. As a general rule, for field work and outdoor target disciplines, most would zero in the 32 to 35 yards region with a "full power" rifle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    It depends on the height of the scope mounts as ideally you want the zero range to be the top of the velocity arc.

Try 25 to 30 yards to start with and if you are just using the reticule to compensate for different ranges (as opposed to dailing) then for all ranges up to and beyond you zero range, the pellet should impact below the horizontal cross hair.
    I agree that distance from sight to barrel is an important and oft-neglected variable.

I disagree that you want to set up a rifle so that the first time the pellet hits the aim point is at 25-30 yards/metres, with everything else below.

I think you want (as is conventional) a primary far zero of, say, 25-30 metres, which will give you a secondary close zero of something around 8-12 metres, depending on the variables of sight height and ballistics of the rifle/pellet combination. So the pellet will strike below impact point at very close range, then on it at 8-12, then above it, then on it at 25-30, then below it beyond.

That minimises the difference between POA and POI if you don't accurately estimate the range at any distance from 5 to 35 yards/metres, which almost no one can do down to a metre. Beyond which distance, you should not be shooting at quarry (exception given for top shot on form with great rifle, perfect pellets, solid rest, laser rangefinder, and detailed ballistic knowledge born from testing the actual rifle/pellet combination, not playing with Chairgun).

I believe BTDT's historical zero recommendations for sporting springers with sensible pellets at around 11 ft-lbs were 22 yards for .22" and 27 for .177". They still have a lot going for them.

I set up .177 s at 30 yards and normally use high or medium mounts depending on the gun .
    In general there is not much noticable drop till 20yards and out till 35 /40 .
    I think 30 yards is most common with .177 and 25 or 27 for .22.
    You just need to be hot on your 8,10,13,15 but thats pretty easy to judge .
    I shoot hft btw if your hunting then you probably don't need to worry about the really close stuff that much .
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22
    Trying hard to keep it down to 10 rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza5 View Post
    Hi all. Always used. 22 but just bought a brocock contour s6. 177 any tips or advice on zero range. Research found 35 yrd but others say different. Any views and why. Tia.
    IIRC when I had .177 it was about 37yds.
    Download Hawke Chairgun, enter your details, scope height, pellet weight, muzzle energy etc & trial enter various zero ranges until you get the longest PBR where the trajectory is within 1/2" (+/-) of the scope line of sight.
    If you don't have a chrono to test the energy, or a factory test reading set about 11.3ftlb.

It might sound a bit daunting but it's actually simple to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza5 View Post
    29 yards with a scope height of 4.5 cm ( medium mounts ), this will keep the trajectory within 15mm (0 .6" ) from 14 yards to 32 yards without any hold under or over with a gun at 11.4 ft.lbs.

A.G

35 - 37 yards depending on your set up and pellet

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    IIRC when I had .177 it was about 37yds.
    Download Hawke Chairgun, enter your details, scope height, pellet weight, muzzle energy etc & trial enter various zero ranges until you get the longest PBR where the trajectory is within 1/2" (+/-) of the scope line of sight.
    If you don't have a chrono to test the energy, or a factory test reading set about 11.3ftlb.

It might sound a bit daunting but it's actually simple to do.
    As above. I set mine to 37 yards
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

You have 2 options essentially.

1.or 2 zeros

2 zeroes will have a clos3 zero as the pellet rises and goues above the sight line of the scope and a 2nd primary zero when it complies Mr Newton

1 zero 8s at the crest of the arc so wverthing close and long is below the scopes line of sight.
    Your target distance may help.which is more useful for you.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

My preference is 30 yards for .177,15 yards is zero also,then out to 55 yards with an mtc scope it all falls on aim points on 10x mag,most people at our club choose 30 yards as well,but spend some time at a range and see what works for you

I use an HW100s with a Hawk Airmax amx. The rifle is running around 11.7ftlb with JSB Heavies. I keep the scope on x10 mag.
    ..... I zero at 37yrds.

I mainly shoot for hunting and, most of that is done is night - this zero distance works for me.

My best advice, considering that I'm an absolute technological retard is, get out there somewhere with your rifle, range finder and a bunch of targets and, map out your reticle - you'll have a good time doing it and, you'll gain more experience with your kit.

Good luck.

All of the above.

secretagentmole Guest
    I work on 30 metres for .177 and 25 metres for .22, but I do use SR reticle scopes set to 5 metre steps on reticle....

40yds for me as most of my hunting shots are in the 30-50 range

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

38yds all day long for me. Only used for hunting .

Jim
    Jim
    AA S410k .177; AA S410 Extra FAC .22; AA S310. 22
    Daystate Airwolf FAC .22, mtc viper Pro