Thread: Bore and Stoke of the HW99S

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Bore and Stoke of the HW99S

Anyone got this information to hand? Just going to compare with the old school HW50, which is 25mm and not sure stroke but will measure it.

Hsing-ee,

IIRC, the HW99S is 26 mm x 71 mm.

Have fun & a good Bank Holiday

Best regards

Russ

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hsing-ee,

IIRC, the HW99S is 26 mm x 71 mm.

Have fun & a good Bank Holiday

Best regards

Russ
    Do what!

So all this talk about the 99 being 'damn perfect' and it's not even a 25mm bore

I now feel even smugger about my project 'cock

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Do what!

So all this talk about the 99 being 'damn perfect' and it's not even a 25mm bore

I now feel even smugger about my project 'cock

Pete
    Exactly. Always room for improvement. Isn't the current trick to make it a long stoke with a narrow bore? Can your B-cock be converted to 22mm with long travel? It's just glueing a piece of pipe inside and sticking an HW45 piston in it or summink?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Exactly. Always room for improvement. Isn't the current trick to make it a long stoke with a narrow bore? Can your B-cock be converted to 22mm with long travel? It's just glueing a piece of pipe inside and sticking an HW45 piston in it or summink?
    I don't know what these bloody shed tuners are doing nowadays I've lost track what's on trend, as long as my teeth don't fall out when fired and I hit what I'm aiming at then I don't care.

I was given a link to a tuning site the other day and they where all worried about their piston seals getting a bit warm and upsetting the running of their rifles, if I was that concerned about that sort of thing then I'd buy a rammer and never sleep again, have my hair go grey and start falling out.......Oh hang about...it is.....Damn you Theoben.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 26-05-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I don't know what these bloody shed tuners are doing nowadays

I was given a link to a tuning site the other day and they where all worried about their piston seals getting a bit warm and upsetting the running of their rifles, if I was that concerned about that sort of thing then I'd buy a rammer and never sleep again, have my hair go grey and start falling out.......Oh hand about...it is.....Damn you Theoben.

Pete
    I think the medieval theologians would label this sort of thing 'the sin of scrupulosity' , like thinking you will go to Hell because you thought you saw a cloud that maybe looked a bit like a lady's ankle. In modern psychological terms it's being neurotic; in modern common terms they should 'get a life' and worry about something more important or even actually go shooting. The solution is to buy a Feinwerkbau 300, accept the low power level and the fact there is NOTHING that can be done to improve it as the FWB engineers 'fixed it already' when they designed it.

Even if they found some thermostable seals then they would have to factor in decay and heat-cycles. I realised that tuning has its limits because unless you shoot in still air indoors all the time, or at ten meters or less, the wind is going to affect things far more than tweaking the last 0.1% of performance out of a rifle. But for some people that IS the fun and having a perfect pitch rifle is the aim of the game, rather than a rifle that can group 10mm or less at 30 yards which is what I like.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I thought I read somewhere that the HW99S is an HW50 in non-UK markets?

I'm sure someone clever with a lathe can make up a piston pretty easily as there's no centre rod to worry about but is it worth all the expense and aggro.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the HW99S is an HW50 in non-UK markets?
    That is true.

However, it is not a 'real' HW50.

A real HW50 has a screw-in back block and a hog's back stock with no recoil pad. It was known in the USA as the Beeman R8. BTDT had one pimped by Venom into a hunting super-gun in the early 80s. They are 25mm bore for both the earlier leather washer and later synthetic washer guns. They aren't as powerful as the 99, but they are classier. Like an HW85 old-school screw-in back block is classier than a 95, which is also called an 85 when its wearing a certain stock.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 26-05-2018 at 04:13 PM.

I'm sure someone clever with a lathe can make up a piston pretty easily as there's no centre rod to worry about but is it worth all the expense and aggro.

Pete
    No I don't think so. Just do an old-school tune on it, make sure the guides fit and just enjoy shooting it. If you want a supertuned springer, then just get the ProSport out of the cupboard, thats one of the best springers for performance that I have shot.

If you want to tinker, then get an old BSA Cadet Major or summink.

No I don't think so. Just do an old-school tune on it, make sure the guides fit and just enjoy shooting it. If you want a supertuned springer, then just get the ProSport out of the cupboard, thats one of the best springers for performance that I have shot.
    My thoughts exactly, I'm just waiting for the new piston seal to turn up from Oz and then I'll strip it down again and take the short stroke head off and revert it back to original but with better guides and seal.

Pete

My vintage HW50 .177 (1975) shows 25 mm and 65 mm stroke with a new type synthetic seal on the adapter.
    Wearing the original leather seal stroke gets longer by about 1,5 to 2,0 mm.

All the newer types HW50 /50s I fettled showed 26 mm and a stroke of 70 mm though literature tells 72 mm.
    Maybe my fault while taking measure.

To my knowledge basically a HW99s (Beeman/USA and HW sold in British market) are identical with the HW50s.