Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the Best Webley Overlever Pistol?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Which is the Best Webley Overlever Pistol?

I have heard that it is the Premier, but is this true and why is it better than the others? How does the Tempest compare with the earlier all-steel offerings?

Steel framed premier certainly feels the best, but I love my tempest
    Donald

Post war Senior for me....
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    What for you makes it 'the best'? Or is it just pleasant associations?

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Same here, the finish is simply excellent and low pin count around the trigger area give a pleasing appearance, the cording on the rear grip is a nice touch that was not followed through on the Premier. Technically the Premier benefits from a trigger adjustment screw, beefed up pivot on the barrel catch (some failed on the Senior) and the PTFE piston washer. Both lovely pistols!
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 26-05-2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added trigger adjustment screw.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I have heard that it is the Premier, but is this true and why is it better than the others? How does the Tempest compare with the earlier all-steel offerings?
    The fit and finish of the Tempest does not compare with the post war Senior or Premier Mk 1; but the alloy frame Tempest is less of a concern in regard to corrosion. The Tempest has the disadvantage of the plastic forend, which can crack around the pins. The alloy Mk 2 Premier is similar without the shroud. The crossover Premier Mk 1 (between the blued steel Mk 1 and alloy Mk 2 versions) had a laquer finish on steel which protects the steel and looks OK, but not as nice as the blued versions.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Steel framed premier certainly feels the best, but I love my tempest
    To be fair on the Tempest it does have nicely shaped grips with thumb rest and safety (though not ideal for a leftie), and the shape of the rear casting was better than the Premier Mk 2. The Tempest is a very popular shooters pistol.

For pure aesthetics and collectable rarity I would opt for the pre-war, 'Straight Grip' Senior, but for the best compromise between shooting and collecting it would be an A or B series Premier.

Regards
    Brian

'Which is the Best Webley Overlever Pistol?'

They have yet to make a good un.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Pre war slant grip Senior. They never really improved anything significant after that.
    Straight grip Pre war Senior my favourite Webley pistol.

Best Webley Pistol the Stoeger Straight grip Senior. Stoeger augmented the Senior with checkered walnut grips with brass medalian and a special ribbed trigger. I also believe the white highlighting of the lettering is original Stoeger. I truely think this trumps the more modern Senior with plastic grips.

https://imgur.com/gallery/AutGh

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    For sheer quality of manufacture.... It has to be a post war slant grip Senior - a proper air pistol made from steel to firearms standards.

But for best accuracy...the best Webley overlever has to be:

The Nemisis

The nicest for pure plinking pleasure are the tin grip and early post war Juniors.Lovely build quality and accurate in a compact and easy to cock package.

The Junior's are my favourite over lever Webley pistols the MK2 can be ignored,though.

The larger slant grip post war Senior with a good trigger is probably my second favourite followed by the blued steel Premier's.The MK2 Premier can also be ignored.

I had a Tempest,they are a very functional pistol with a great trigger,but total carp build quality,monkey metal casting, plastic and roll pins!

ATB.

What is rge best Webley Overlever pistol

For me, the best one is the New Model, dating from the thirties - it sits beautifully in the hand, and has no real faults that I can think of. I suppose that subsequent changes simply streamline production, or added a bit of bling. My example is No. S 7920, and although rather battered, it remains my favourite!

John

Take Your Pick

In response to the OP, there are a variety of 'best' qualities to choose from:

- Rare Collectable; Straight Grip Pre War Senior/Stoeger Pre War Senior
    - Popular Collectable; Post War Slant Grip Senior/Pre-war Slant Grip Senior
    - Evolved Collectable; Premier Mk 1
    - Compact Collectable; Junior Mk 1
    - Function/ergonomics; Tempest
    - Accuracy; Nemessis

Probably more answers to follow.