Thread: Which is the Best Webley Overlever Pistol?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Which is the Best Webley Overlever Pistol?

I have heard that it is the Premier, but is this true and why is it better than the others? How does the Tempest compare with the earlier all-steel offerings?

Steel framed premier certainly feels the best, but I love my tempest
    Donald

Post war Senior for me....
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    What for you makes it 'the best'? Or is it just pleasant associations?

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Same here, the finish is simply excellent and low pin count around the trigger area give a pleasing appearance, the cording on the rear grip is a nice touch that was not followed through on the Premier. Technically the Premier benefits from a trigger adjustment screw, beefed up pivot on the barrel catch (some failed on the Senior) and the PTFE piston washer. Both lovely pistols!
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 26-05-2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added trigger adjustment screw.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Steel framed premier certainly feels the best, but I love my tempest
    To be fair on the Tempest it does have nicely shaped grips with thumb rest and safety (though not ideal for a leftie), and the shape of the rear casting was better than the Premier Mk 2. The Tempest is a very popular shooters pistol.

For pure aesthetics and collectable rarity I would opt for the pre-war, 'Straight Grip' Senior, but for the best compromise between shooting and collecting it would be an A or B series Premier.

Regards
    Brian

'Which is the Best Webley Overlever Pistol?'

They have yet to make a good un.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Pre war slant grip Senior. They never really improved anything significant after that.
    Straight grip Pre war Senior my favourite Webley pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    'Which is the Best Webley Overlever Pistol?'

They have yet to make a good un.
    What about the HW45 then? Oh, that isn't a Webley...

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    For pure aesthetics and collectable rarity I would opt for the pre-war, 'Straight Grip' Senior, but for the best compromise between shooting and collecting it would be an A or B series Premier.

Regards
    Brian
    This is the correct answer. Early Premier. Except I'd say that the runner-up to the earlier Premier, as a shooter, is a good slant-grip Senior, vintage irrelevant, and a good Senior beats an average Premier.

As a shooter, a decent Hurricane is good, and has the best sights (but: alloy/plastic, bulky, 70s looks, etc).

I've said on here before that my unscientific experience of these things is that they appear to be more accurate in .177" than .22".

I realise the Nemesis was only mentioned as a joke, but just to say that it's potential accuracy greatly increases (or should that be decreases?) with a much much lighter mainspring in the trigger.

The factory spring is much much much much too heavy.

Unlike the awful spring pistols that fling shots all over the place, the Nemesis is actually usable as a match pistol - but only with a light trigger spring.

Tin Grip Valuation?

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

Regards
    Brian
    Greetings from a newbie in Cumbria.

The chairman of the club I attend (Kendal rifle and pistol club) has asked me to sell a pistol on his behalf. He's restored it (stripdown and clean up,
    new sping and seals) and I'm looking at a price to go with it on Guntrader

It's a tin grip straight handle Junior with the original smoothbore .177 barrel. It's all there and I'd call the blueing 95% good. I've a set of pics but I can't see a way of posting them here but I can always add them to an email.

I've seen similar guns on Guntrader and the prices go from £99 up to beyond £250 (for boxed ones). It's notable
    that there isn't another tin grip example.

So, does anyone have a guide price? Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you,

David

Quote Originally Posted by davhill View Post
    Greetings from a newbie in Cumbria.
    Greetings.

You might want to make a new thread of your valuation request, rather than tacking it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I have heard that it is the Premier, but is this true and why is it better than the others? How does the Tempest compare with the earlier all-steel offerings?
    The fit and finish of the Tempest does not compare with the post war Senior or Premier Mk 1; but the alloy frame Tempest is less of a concern in regard to corrosion. The Tempest has the disadvantage of the plastic forend, which can crack around the pins. The alloy Mk 2 Premier is similar without the shroud. The crossover Premier Mk 1 (between the blued steel Mk 1 and alloy Mk 2 versions) had a laquer finish on steel which protects the steel and looks OK, but not as nice as the blued versions.