Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is the Best Webley Overlever Pistol?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    'Which is the Best Webley Overlever Pistol?'

They have yet to make a good un.
    What about the HW45 then? Oh, that isn't a Webley...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    The nicest for pure plinking pleasure are the tin grip and early post war Juniors.Lovely build quality and accurate in a compact and easy to cock package.

The Junior's are my favourite over lever Webley pistols the MK2 can be ignored,though.

The larger slant grip post war Senior with a good trigger is probably my second favourite followed by the blued steel Premier's.The MK2 Premier can also be ignored.

I had a Tempest,they are a very functional pistol with a great trigger,but total carp build quality,monkey metal casting, plastic and roll pins!

ATB.
    Gets my vote for best analysis....

Premier mk2 for me was the best but then again their is the Turkish tempest rubbish

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    For pure aesthetics and collectable rarity I would opt for the pre-war, 'Straight Grip' Senior, but for the best compromise between shooting and collecting it would be an A or B series Premier.

Regards
    Brian
    This is the correct answer. Early Premier. Except I'd say that the runner-up to the earlier Premier, as a shooter, is a good slant-grip Senior, vintage irrelevant, and a good Senior beats an average Premier.

As a shooter, a decent Hurricane is good, and has the best sights (but: alloy/plastic, bulky, 70s looks, etc).

I've said on here before that my unscientific experience of these things is that they appear to be more accurate in .177" than .22".

I realise the Nemesis was only mentioned as a joke, but just to say that it's potential accuracy greatly increases (or should that be decreases?) with a much much lighter mainspring in the trigger.

The factory spring is much much much much too heavy.

Unlike the awful spring pistols that fling shots all over the place, the Nemesis is actually usable as a match pistol - but only with a light trigger spring.

Has to be the Premier.

I have an "A" which has all the qualities of the previous Senior but, imo, is easier to cock and has a far superior trigger.

I have a couple of slant grip Seniors and the triggers are a real let down - great apart from that though!

For looks a MK2 Target does it for me.
    For engineering the pre 1958 Senior.
    For shooting a E Premier....
    Reason neoprene breach washer, ptfe washer and non-sintered barrel catch....
    last forever (almost), took my 1974 E out of the draw last year after sitting for 25 years.
    Still as powerful as a new Tempest, still knock over coke cans at 10yds. (did oil first)

Tin Grip Valuation?

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    For pure aesthetics and collectable rarity I would opt for the pre-war, 'Straight Grip' Senior, but for the best compromise between shooting and collecting it would be an A or B series Premier.

Regards
    Brian
    Greetings from a newbie in Cumbria.

The chairman of the club I attend (Kendal rifle and pistol club) has asked me to sell a pistol on his behalf. He's restored it (stripdown and clean up,
    new sping and seals) and I'm looking at a price to go with it on Guntrader

It's a tin grip straight handle Junior with the original smoothbore .177 barrel. It's all there and I'd call the blueing 95% good. I've a set of pics but I can't see a way of posting them here but I can always add them to an email.

I've seen similar guns on Guntrader and the prices go from £99 up to beyond £250 (for boxed ones). It's notable
    that there isn't another tin grip example.

So, does anyone have a guide price? Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you,

David

I have a slant grip mk1 .177 with hand made wood grips in a target fashion ....and a made thumb opening lever think it was someone's target pistol years ago shoots spot on......but will agree post war senior the best
    Last edited by smallholder1; 05-06-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davhill View Post
    Greetings from a newbie in Cumbria.
    Greetings.

You might want to make a new thread of your valuation request, rather than tacking it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Greetings.

You might want to make a new thread of your valuation request, rather than tacking it on here.
    Thanks, Guitar Man! I've complied, with a new thread in General Airgun.

Quote Originally Posted by davhill View Post
    Thanks, Guitar Man! I've complied, with a new thread in General Airgun.
    You're welcome,

I've moved your thread to the collectors section, with a redirect from 'General' - to give you the best of both worlds.